[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] What to do about binaries

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (06/27/88)

In article  <1128@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) writes:
]
]	What do we do about .binaries?

Boy, are you ignorant.  Not that ignorance is always something to be
ashamed of, but posting ignorant messages to a network is.  My reply
is really to the various people who may have been mislead by your
stupid article, so you don't have to read the rest.  You have already
proven to my satisfaction that you don't learn from experience.

]	Something that would make a big difference would be to completely
]	ban SHAREWARE, as it represents 95% of the traffic in the group
]	comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Or we could ban aritlces by you, since they account for 95% of the
stupidity in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  I'm really curious about your
irrational hatred of binaries.  Did you have a bad experience with a
binary as a child?  Why don't you just stop reading binary groups?
Then you can pretend they don't exist, and they won't bother you at
all.

]	There are several reasons why SHAREWARE
]	is not desirable ...

]	SHAREWARE is commercial software...
]

Lots of people are happy to see these things on the net.  Who do you
think you are to tell us what kind of information we are allowed to
post and recieve?

]	SHAREWARE quality is frequently low.

Shareware quality is frequently high also.  This can be said about
almost any group of products.

]	Following every program
]	there are floods of postings regarding bugs, and some of the
]	programs have been denounced by the net users for problems.

Following some programs there are floods of such postings.  The same
can be said of postings in comp.sources.*

]	One distributor of SHAREWARE on the net was contacted about
]	problems and he got pretty flame-y, saying "If it trashed your
]	file system and ate your favorite program, hey, don't use it".
]	Clearly, you get what you pay for.

I suppose you are refering to the flushot problem.  Why don't we
eliminate every newsgroup that ever contained a flame?  The author of
flushot seems a triffle high-spirited, but he was provoked, and you
are misquoting him.

]	Unfortunately, SHAREWARE
]	has the effect of crowding higher quality software out of
]	the market so that there is no viable alternative to it,
]	despite the bugs.

Gee, I would be embarassed to make such a stupid, far-reaching,
undocumented statement.  It also presupposes your bogus assumption
that shareware is inherently lower quality than other software.

]	There is also a considerable amount of re-posting.

You get the same thing in comp.sources.*.

]	SHAREWARE is recursive because it uses SHAREWARE archivers.

The vast majority of binaries for PC's use shareware archivers.  Just
goes to show how important shareware is.

]	The selection of archivers features an old IBM trick of
]	"be nasty to the user", by being incompatible.

Choke!  New heights of stupidity!  I didn't think think it was
possible.  Just what dreamworld do you come from where everything is
compatible with everything else?  There are a few naive users out
there complaining about a new archiver that unarchives files in a
certain format, but sometimes produces incompatible archives of its
own.  This sort of thing happens so frequently, that I can't believe
anyone with any experience at all would complain about it.  It's
called evolution, and usually leads to better products.

]	... And yet the user must have
]	several to decode the various forms that SHAREWARE can take.

Wrong.  The user only needs pkarc.

]	The archives have
]	been LZW'd before they are sent and they won't compress
]	again for news. This puts a 3:1 size factor on the archived
]	SHAREWARE as compared to text.

Huh?  This topic has been discussed a lot, and the general concencus
seems to be that arc'ed _may_ under some circumstances cause a very
minor (<5%) increase in the size of news batches.  Where in the world
did 3:1 come from?  And -- you'd better sit down for this -- this
holds for _any_ archived file, not just that evil shareware.

]	SHAREWARE frequently only runs on specific hardware, ie. those
]	semi-intelligent terminals that IBM calls the PC.

This is no more common for shareware than for other binaries.

]	The actual
]	number of people who use any particular package is quite
]	small, on the order of a few dozen, at best;...

Neat!  Statistics by declaration.  If you don't know something, make
up a vague number.

]	SHAREWARE has carried the dreaded disk disease, the virus, into
]	the world on at least one occasion that is known.

Any binaries or sources can carry viruses.  If you don't believe that
a source can carry a virus, maybe I ought to prove it to you...

]	There is no
]	positive way to protest against such nasties as trojans and
]	virii except to ban binary executables.

Or, we could take the totally unexpected tact of letting users make up
their own minds what sort of risks they want to take.

]	Hopes that a moderator
]	would provide some measure of quality assurance have been dashed,

The moderator was never intended to give quality assurance, he was
supposed to keep non-binaries out of the binaries group.

]	and SHAREWARE has been given top priority over the cries of
]	net users. This is a deliberate commercial distribution at the
]	expense of the net being perpetrated by the moderator.

These poor helpless users must be sending their cries directly to you,
because I haven't seen them.  Maybe we ought to investigate the
possiblity that the moderator is being paid off by these fortune 500
shareware companies.

]	If we're not going to ban SHAREWARE, I want to know because
]	I've got a few meg's of stuff that I'll sell. Up till now I've
]	thought it improper, so tell me I'm wrong and here it comes.

We're not going to ban shareware.  Post away, it's a free net, even
though there are some like you who don't want it to be.

]	Or how about the complete Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
]	(SAO) star catalog?...

Well, you have to be reasonable, but I guess that's asking too much of
some people.

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (06/27/88)

In article <1128@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) had
suggested that it might be appropriate to ban shareware postings
on usenet.

In article <6010@megaron.arizona.edu>, gudeman@arizona.edu (David
Gudeman) took issue with Mr. Brunow's article and posted a truly
cleverless diatribe claiming over and over again that Mr. Brunow
was "stupid".

Mr. Gudeman adamantly concluded:

> We're not going to ban shareware.  Post away, it's a free net, even
> though there are some like you who don't want it to be.

Mr. Gudeman is wrong, of course.  As most people know, it's not a free
net... although it would appear from Gudeman's posting that he doesn't
contribute to the high cost of its upkeep.  And, while it may be true
that Mr. Gudeman is not going to ban shareware (how magnanimous of him),
it remains to be seen whether shareware (not to mention ibm.binaries)
will continue to be propagated through unix sites if net volume continues
to increase.

Many of us have held legitimate concerns for quite some time that
shareware publishers (I can't say whether Mr. Gudeman is included in
their number -- although his vehemence suggests that he may have an ax
to grind) are taking advantage of the net to promote their products
at the expense of others.

In view of the groundswell of opinion aimed at putting the net "on a
diet" as Chuq proposed several weeks ago, it might be a good idea for
readers of comp.binaries.ibm to give some consideration to Mr. Brunow's
suggestion.  As it is, Mr. Gudeman's advice to "post away" is ill-advised.

Now, Mr.  Gudeman, go ahead and tell everybody how stupid I am!  If you
need inspiration, try looking in the mirror.  ;-)

--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 456-0001
{uunet,killer}!wpg!russ

len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) (06/27/88)

In article <6010@megaron.arizona.edu> gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) writes:
>In article  <1128@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) writes:
	What do we do about .binaries?

>Lots of people are happy to see these things on the net.  Who do you
>think you are to tell us what kind of information we are allowed to
>post and recieve?

 Lots of people don't pay the bills for the massive amount of traffic
 that all binaries generate..

>These poor helpless users must be sending their cries directly to you,
>because I haven't seen them.  Maybe we ought to investigate the
>possiblity that the moderator is being paid off by these fortune 500
>shareware companies.

 These poor helpless users you blithely refer to.. are _backbone_ admins
 who are getting tired of feeding megs and megs of binaries that only
 benefit a small percentage of the net.whole .. If I may suggest that you
 read news.admin once in awhile,you would see the discussion frequently.

>We're not going to ban shareware.  Post away, it's a free net, even
>though there are some like you who don't want it to be.

 Who is "we",might I ask..

 It is not a free net.. It is quite expensive for the backbone,and well
connected sub-backbone sites. It is expensive for the owner of the site
you post from. It may be free for you,since you might not be paying for
the equipment,long distance,etc,etc.. (notice I say might,since I don't
know you)

When all is said and done,the suggestion that a new newsgroup heirarchy
called "bin" be created to handle binary traffic is probably the best way
out. This way,sites that want/need these things can get them.The sites
that have no use for them don't get swamped.Connectivity may get shot to
hell,but then again,it is doubtful since there will probably sites that
will be glad to provide bin.* feeds ..

>Well, you have to be reasonable, but I guess that's asking too much of
>some people.

That is what the net.whole is asking.. Be reasonable about binaries..
Have some consideration on the budgets of the backbone,so that the
people that pay the money will stay on the net.What do you think drove
AT&T to do what was done.. Megs and Megs of binaries being sent via
uucp mail..
I have one question.. If "binaries" are so important for you,
can't you just get them from a local bbs somewhere? With the
advent of pc pursuit,surely this is not a problem.. Usenet is
*not* a bbs,and was never intended to be one.. I expect some
major changes will come about soon,and binaries will soon be
a memory.

When the "bin" distribution is created,and binaries (of all
kinds) removed,the amount of traffic (netwide) will probably drop by
30% (based on my observations at three sites I administrate).

Surely this is an intelligent thing to do.. The net will still
carry all the technical discussions that have become important
to micro users everywhere.

Is it possible that you haven't thought of what it takes to
distribute this stuff worldwide?

When the "bin" heirarchy is created,my site will be glad to feed
IBM binaries to other sites.. (I use them too.)

PS .. personal attacks get you _nowhere_ ..

--
Len Rose - NetSys,Inc. 301-520-5677
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or {ames,decuac,ihnp4}!netsys!len

hwfe@ur-tut (Harlan Feinstein) (06/27/88)

In article <6010@megaron.arizona.edu> gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) writes:
>In article  <1128@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) writes:
>]	SHAREWARE has carried the dreaded disk disease, the virus, into
>]	the world on at least one occasion that is known.
>Any binaries or sources can carry viruses.  If you don't believe that
>a source can carry a virus, maybe I ought to prove it to you...
>]	There is no
>]	positive way to protest against such nasties as trojans and
>]	virii except to ban binary executables.
>Or, we could take the totally unexpected tact of letting users make up
>their own minds what sort of risks they want to take.

Chuck, I'll admit that I'm pretty inexperienced in flaming, but here goes:
The points in your article <1128@csccat.UUCP> are some of the dumbest I've
heard in a long while.  I think that the parts I like best, along with David
Gudeman's reactions to them, are the pearls of your article.  Why don't we
ban computers, since viruses run on computers; I mean, after all, viruses
can't do anything when the computer is off (or can they?).  Why don't you
not use your computer?

                  People can get viruses.  Boycott humans.

Harlan Feinstein                  U  U RRRR   hwfeccss@uorvm.bitnet
Student, University of Rochester  U  U RRRR   hwfe@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"We are... U R!"                  UUUU R  R   seismo!rochester!ur-tut!hwfe

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (06/28/88)

In article  <463@wpg.UUCP> russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
>In article <1128@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) had
>suggested that it might be appropriate to ban shareware postings
>on usenet.
>
>In article <6010@megaron.arizona.edu>, gudeman@arizona.edu (David
>Gudeman) took issue with Mr. Brunow's article and posted a truly
>cleverless diatribe claiming over and over again that Mr. Brunow
>was "stupid".
>
>Mr. Gudeman adamantly concluded:
>
>> We're not going to ban shareware.  Post away, it's a free net, even
>> though there are some like you who don't want it to be.
>
>Mr. Gudeman is wrong, of course.  As most people know, it's not a free
>net... although it would appear from Gudeman's posting that he doesn't
>contribute to the high cost of its upkeep.

It was obvious from my wording that I was using "free" in the sense of
"unconstrained", not "without cost".  I also knew when I wrote it that
some people would deliberately misread it.  You are right, by the way,
I don't pay any of the net costs, except through taxes.  If I did, I
might not carry binaries or any of the talk groups, and possibly not a
lot of the technical groups.  If someone wants to cut off binaries
because they are costing that person money, I not only wouldn't
protest, I wouldn't feel it was any of my business.  What _I_ don't
like is someone who spends his time trying to talk others into not
carrying binaries.  It's none of his business.

>  And, while it may be true
>that Mr. Gudeman is not going to ban shareware (how magnanimous of him),
>it remains to be seen whether shareware (not to mention ibm.binaries)
>will continue to be propagated through unix sites if net volume continues
>to increase.

I suspect they will drop a lot of other things first.

>Many of us have held legitimate concerns for quite some time that
>shareware publishers (I can't say whether Mr. Gudeman is included in
>their number -- although his vehemence suggests that he may have an ax
>to grind) are taking advantage of the net to promote their products
>at the expense of others.

I'm not a shareware publisher.  I _have_ written and distributed
some public domain sources.  I don't actually like the shareware idea
much, but I like freedom.  And I don't like busybodies trying to
restrict my freedom.  _That_ is the axe I have to grind.  And
shareware publishers are not using the net just to promote their
products, but to distribute them.  A lot of us are glad to see them.
PICNIX has made MSDOS usable for me.

>... Now, Mr.  Gudeman, go ahead and tell everybody how stupid I am!
>If you need inspiration, try looking in the mirror.  ;-)

Sheesh.  Talk about cleverless.  I actually, I've been told I look
quite intelligent (high forehead, beard, glasses :-).  Anyway, I don't
call people stupid until they prove it to my satisfaction.  If you
read the article by Brunnow and know anything about shareware and
binaries, you will have to agree that his article was at least not
very well thought out.

Rereading my response to Brunow in the cooler light of morning, I'll
admit it was a little harsh.  But when the same person keeps
publishing the same misinformation, I get a little irritated.  I also
would like to know why the guy hates binaries so much.  If they are
costing Chuck Brunow money why doesn't he just stop carrying binaries
and shutup?

carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) (06/29/88)

In article <6018@megaron.arizona.edu> gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) writes:
[a fairly calm and clearly-reasoned response to a flame by a binary-hater,
then:]

> But when the same person keeps
>publishing the same misinformation, I get a little irritated.  I also
>would like to know why the guy hates binaries so much.  If they are
>costing Chuck Brunow money why doesn't he just stop carrying binaries
>and shutup?

Amen.  Mr. Brunow's ravings against binaries and shareware haven't taken up
as much bandwidth as binaries themselves have (although with the dribble
lately in c.b.i.p, it's getting close), but he's surely more irritating.

Reminds me of political theory as a whole.  Mr. Brunow represents the side
that wants (net)society to enforce some rules on everybody "for their own
good and for the good of society", while Mr. Gudeman (and myself, and many
others) would rather let (net)society "vote with their feet".  If you don't
want binaries - DON'T GET BINARIES and DON'T FEED BINARIES DOWNSTREAM.  I'm
confident that there will be enough sites still carrying binaries that
everyone who wants them can still get them.  This newsgroup does not need
endless political diatribes against them.

The business about a separate hierarchy for binaries (while not
objectionable to me) is a red herring.  A news administrator can
cut off any specific newsgroup not desired.  It might take five
minutes to run 'sed' on the active file to find out which groups have
"binar" in the name and intelligently edit that information.

I was willing to ignore the first couple tirades against net.binaries, but
Mr. Brunow is SOOO persistent...
--
Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"I met a girl who sang the blues
                                        | and asked her for some happy news
UUCP:     carlp@iscuvc.ISCS.COM         | but she just smiled and turned away"
          ...uunet!iscuvc!carlp         |                    - Don MacLean

loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) (06/29/88)

In article <3355@bsu-cs.UUCP> pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:

>Please, no direct Mail replies, because:
>1) the net SHOULD hear what you have to say to me, and
>2) I can't take large amounts of mail :-).

	Barrett,

	I like it. I don't agree, but it makes sense.

	Chuck

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083

markh@cvedc.UUCP (06/30/88)

Well, here comes my $.03 worth ...

In article <3355@bsu-cs.UUCP>, pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:
> (ok ladles and gentlmints, arm flamethrowers at leisure)
> Compiling one and two, I say that doing away with binaries is wrong.
> Splitting the binaries into their own group would be ok.. a bit of a bother,
> but ok.  Going to source only would be the worst thing the system could do.
> (personal opinion.. ok?)

I agree with you totally in this respect. For some machines, it is much easier
to grab a binary than to try and find the compiler that the other guy used
(which 9 times out of 10, I don't have anyway) or try to port to the one that
I have readily available. Granted, you have to be aware of the posibility of
a virus, but that is why I unpack them on my machine. It's non-critical
anyway.

> For some ammunition for this note, I browsed comp.sources.games for
> a size comparison..   Wanna to know what I found? (No. but you're gonna get
> it anyway.)
>
> For those of you who have access to a grand and glorious SUN station,
> you too can play Mahjongg, if you collect all 38 parts..
> I pulled what was available out.. the total size (up to pt. 31) is 1594k.

Having written that beast, I feel I should at least defend it (some). I don't
know why, it has given me more grief that benefit ;-). In an attempt to save
net load, I originally sent out the "better" portion (icons) of it out as
a compiled .o file. By the time I had targeted all three major platforms I
would have had 8 shar files with ~ 1Mb of data. Not bad given the multiple
platform problem. But the minute that I posted a .o file (nearest thing to a
binary with out actually sending one) people started screaming virus! (If you
aren't hiding something in there then why not send source ;-) So, after
discussing it with the moderator, we decided to send out the source for the
icons. So don't blame me, I did my best to keep it down. Will of the people
and all that rot!

(back to the discussion at hand)
This is the situation you run into where you have a "standard" compiler set.
People would rather see source than binaries. They (usually) have to much to
lose from an attack of "virus" because they are generally serving more than
one person. On platforms where the compiler set(s) range
so widely, it becomes much easier to post/use a binary than to try and match
the environment it was created in. (Sounds of asbestos suit being donned) I
found that in general, programming practices on the smaller platforms tend to
be much sloppier than that found on say a Sun or Vax, making it difficult
most times to recreate the environment to compile in.

> I'm sorry, but THE largest thing in OUR archives is the kermit source files
> which had an estimated transmission size of ~700k.  Even jumbo-da-elephant
> PICNIX had an E.T.S. of ~560k.  !And! there are a whole lot more PC's running
> in the world today than SUN's.
>
> All I'm saying is that the gripers should be looking in ALL places for
> waste, not just (apparently) trying to single out comp.binaries.

Here! Here! (with the above taken into account)

> Please, no direct Mail replies, because:
> 1) the net SHOULD hear what you have to say to me, and

> P.S.   Mr. Rose, I feel that your (apparent) re-route of followups to
>        /dev/null was a low blow... plus the fact it didn't work :-P

Ditto!

Mark Holm                                ..tektronix!ogcvax!cvedc!exc!markh
Exceptions                                     ..sun!cvbnet!cvedc!exc!markh
126 NE Grant                                            Phone (503)648-8307
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124                   Messages only until after 6:00 PM

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/01/88)

In article <1671@iscuva.ISCS.COM>, carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) writes:
> I was willing to ignore the first couple tirades against net.binaries, but
> Mr. Brunow is SOOO persistent...
> --
> Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"I met a girl who sang the blues

and should chuck ever get tired of preaching the faith, you'll have me to
deal with.  i think chuck is more liberal than i am.  last time i checked
he only wanted to scrap shareware.  i'd rather see them all go.

- john.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

jgray@toad.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (07/02/88)

In article <3355@bsu-cs.UUCP>, pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:

> All I do is watch these groups (and comp.sys.ibm.pc) and collect the
> binaries.  But I want to put my $.02 worth in.  Binaries are MINOR net hogs.
> I don't argue this.  I personally get upset when things like PICNIX (and
> update) get dumped on the system often.  It makes more work for me, and the
> last version came across our site with a corruption.
>
> BUT before you go condemning binaries as a group, look at a couple of facts.
	Many words on waste elsewhere deleted

> All I'm saying is that the gripers should be looking in ALL places for
> waste, not just (apparently) trying to single out comp.binaries.

I'd like to give this man a pat on the back. Seems to me that far too many
people are tend to loose their perspective on things like this. Though I
aggree with some points made against shareware I don't aggree with slamming
the binaries groups because of net bandwidth.

I took a snapshot of the stuff on our system news directories which I will
include for the sake of those who have spouted an opinion without bothering
to look at thier own net traffic. I will qualify this stuff with the
general question of whether or not other people on the net see similar levels
of traffic. By the way, I understand that articles under the "comp" topics
have a longer lifetime on our system than the other newsgroups.
This info was generated with the "du" command and many of the really tiny
non-"comp" group stuff was deleted.

Kbytes				    Kbytes

2050	soc			    278	    comp/binaries/ibm
1280	sci			    44	    comp/binaries/apple2
1750	talk			    2517    comp/binaries
1365	misc			    454	    comp/protocols
98	comp/misc		    6	    comp/compilers
586	comp/sys/ibm		    93	    comp/risks
10	comp/sys/nsc		    3	    comp/newprod
200	comp/sys/atari		    9	    comp/doc
52	comp/sys/hp		    10	    comp/society
232	comp/sys/apple		    21	    comp/fonts
714	comp/sys/amiga		    104	    comp/software-eng
802	comp/sys/mac		    1	    comp/theory
230	comp/sys/att		    1	    comp/ivideodisc
3	comp/sys/ti		    71	    comp/parallel
19	comp/sys/misc		    20	    comp/simulation
24	comp/sys/cbm		    14982   comp
14	comp/sys/m6809		    34	    rec/misc
13	comp/sys/tandy		    411	    rec/autos
11	comp/sys/m68k		    971	    rec/music
11	comp/sys/intel		    2106    rec/arts
66	comp/sys/dec		    752	    rec/games
1	comp/sys/masscomp	    205	    rec/audio
1	comp/sys/sequent	    313	    rec/ham-radio
1	comp/sys/workstations	    511	    rec/humor
27	comp/sys/apollo		    47	    rec/photo
70	comp/sys/sun		    15	    rec/puzzles
5	comp/sys/pyramid	    642	    rec/sport
2	comp/sys/ridge		    105	    rec/video
1	comp/sys/celerity	    102	    rec/motorcycles
17	comp/sys/transputer	    204	    rec/food
40	comp/sys/zenith		    15	    rec/nude
3	comp/sys/xerox		    406	    rec/aviation
14	comp/sys/proteon	    112	    rec/bicycles
3	comp/sys/encore		    183	    rec/travel
16	comp/sys/sgi		    2	    rec/skydiving
1	comp/sys/tahoe		    63	    rec/pets
3180	comp/sys		    19	    rec/woodworking
1360	comp/unix		    12	    rec/birds
444	comp/ai			    22	    rec/boats
11	comp/cog-eng		    31	    rec/gardens
237	comp/text		    19	    rec/scuba
261	comp/arch		    17	    rec/railroad
709	comp/lang		    1	    rec/mag
209	comp/graphics		    67	    rec/guns
45	comp/os/cpm		    6	    rec/equestrian
451	comp/os/minix		    43	    rec/models
837	comp/os/vms		    31	    rec/folk-dancing
1363	comp/os			    7464    rec
746	comp/mail		    1410    news
1921	comp/sources		    34199   .
227	comp/emacs
48	comp/databases
31	comp/bugs
211	comp/dcom
40	comp/org
56	comp/periphs
73	comp/std
2	comp/lsi
14	comp/edu
423	comp/windows
723	comp/binaries/atari/st
723	comp/binaries/atari
822	comp/binaries/amiga
650	comp/binaries/mac
132	comp/binaries/ibm/pc/d
278	comp/binaries/ibm/pc

A few things worth noting.

All of the binaries make up about 7.4% of the total with only about 10% of
that (0.7% of the total) for the IBM-PC. Note that the dreaded MacIntosh
binaries are twice the size of the PC and the Amiga is even larger still
(strange considering the size of the relative computer populations).

Everything NOT under "news/comp/*" ammounts to about 56% of all network
traffic.

I propose that if we wan't to eliminate all of the useless (i.e. not
contributing to advancement of school or work) traffic, we get rid of
all of the non-computer related newsgroups. I submit for your approval that
to rant an rave about net bandwidth wasted on potentially usefull binaries
while saying nothing about postings on jokes, politics and religion indicates
a rather preverse set of priorities.

Flame me...... I don't care. I will just chuckle over the thought of someone
wasting yet more bandwidth to refute this. I've a notion that the truely
intelligent will remain silent anyway.

---------------
					Jerrold L. Gray

UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!jgray

USNAIL:	10525 Willows Road N.E. /C-46
	Redmond, Wa.  98052
	(206) 881 - 6444 x470

Telex:  15-2167

diblanch@sdrc.UUCP (Jeff Blanchet) (07/07/88)

> that (0.7% of the total) for the IBM-PC. Note that the dreaded MacIntosh
> binaries are twice the size of the PC and the Amiga is even larger still
> (strange considering the size of the relative computer populations).
>
> Everything NOT under "news/comp/*" ammounts to about 56% of all network
> traffic.
>
> I propose that if we wan't to eliminate all of the useless (i.e. not
> contributing to advancement of school or work) traffic, we get rid of
> all of the non-computer related newsgroups. I submit for your approval that
> to rant an rave about net bandwidth wasted on potentially usefull binaries
> while saying nothing about postings on jokes, politics and religion indicates
> a rather preverse set of priorities.
>
> Flame me...... I don't care. I will just chuckle over the thought of someone
> wasting yet more bandwidth to refute this. I've a notion that the truely
> intelligent will remain silent anyway.

I agree 100% with the above!!!!

It is ridiculous that everyone is complaining so much about this.
We could start saving alot of space by not arguing over this.
Let's just leave things the way the are.
If a site doesn't want binaries then don't get it!!!
You do not have to get everything!!

I hope that all of this stupid arguing ends soon.
I am tired of wading through so many articles to get to the ones I want to read.
Didn't we just do this not too long ago with binaries??
What will be next??

Jeff Blanchet
SDRC
Cincinnati Ohio                UUCP: uunet!sdrc!diblanch

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/09/88)

In article <317@sdrc.UUCP> diblanch@sdrc.UUCP (Jeff Blanchet) writes:
>It is ridiculous that everyone is complaining so much about this.
>We could start saving alot of space by not arguing over this.
>Let's just leave things the way the are.
>If a site doesn't want binaries then don't get it!!!
>You do not have to get everything!!

however, many sites are committed to taking 100 percent of comp.
they are called `backbone sites'.  and had you followed the
discussion when this first started over in news.groups, you'd
know that some of those sites don't much care for binaries.  also,
by usenet conventions, other sites are required to carry all of
the main groups.  these are called `sites which connect to
backbone sites'.

leaf nodes can get away with not carrying everything, and indeed,
most leafs seem to be pretty picky.  i mean, why carry something
just to fill up disk space?  the heart of the question is, should
the non-leaf sites carry binaries just so the leafs can use them?

- john.
--
 John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.UUCP :DOMAIN

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (07/09/88)

In article  <8749@netsys.UUCP> len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) writes:
>... Usenet is *not* a bbs,and was never intended to be one...

I've seen that line before, and can't help wondering what prompts it.
Is there a feeling that binaries readers are mostly PC sites that just
use the net to get binaries?  If this is the case, it seems like a
good reason for a site to get rid of binaries, but I doubt that the
binaries readership really looks like that.  I suspect that most
binaries group readers work on a more "normal" site, and use binaries
from the net on their home computers.

>...When all is said and done,the suggestion that a new newsgroup heirarchy
>called "bin" be created to handle binary traffic is probably the best way
>out. This way,sites that want/need these things can get them...

Maybe I'm missing something really fundamental here.  Why can't the
sites that don't want binaries just stop carrying them right now?  Is
there some technical reason?  This seems like the obvious approach,
but if it isn't possible why don't you save us a lot of trouble by
explaining why it isn't.

>... When the "bin" distribution is created,and binaries (of all
>kinds) removed,the amount of traffic (netwide) will probably drop by
>30% (based on my observations at three sites I administrate)...

If that's true, it's another good reason to drop binaries groups at
sites that don't want them.  30% seems pretty high though.  Have these
measurments been done since comp.binaries.ibm.pc became moderated?
And when you make such a decision for your site, you really should
compare the volume to the readership, not use volume as an absolute
measure.

>Surely this is an intelligent thing to do.. The net will still
>carry all the technical discussions that have become important
>to micro users everywhere.

Will it also carry rec.* , soc.* , and talk.* ?  What I don't
understand is the reason for keeping these enterainment groups around
while killing a productive group like binaries.  Not that I have
anything against the entertainment groups, I read a couple of them.
But I get the impression that the hostility towards binaries is
motivated by either (1) an attempt to save other groups at the expense
of binaries, or (2) a personal opinion that binaries are a poor way to
distribute software (I agree), associated with an urge to force ones
own opinions on others (I disagree).

>PS .. personal attacks get you _nowhere_ ..

OK, OK.  I regret the tone of that article.  The keyboard serves as a
de-humanizing influence in communication, and I was thinking of Mr.
Brunow as an irritation rather than as a human being.  I will be more
thoughtful in the future.  I reiterate though, that the article in
question was full of inaccuracies and unsupported generalities.  (For
support of the previous generality, see the my reply and read around
the hostility).

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/10/88)

In article <243@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:
>just to fill up disk space?  the heart of the question is, should
>the non-leaf sites carry binaries just so the leafs can use them?

Should the non-leaf sites carry discussion groups just so the leaves can use
them?  Should they carry sources just so...?  Should they carry news feeds
just so...?  Most of the groups serve some special interest group; very few
are read by all subscribers.

One of the newsgroups (net.config? or something) just posted Brian Reid's
monthly survey of net usage.  The pc binaries group was way up there in
readership, it was up there in volume but there were lots more voluminous
groups, and its "cost-per-user-per-megabyte" rating was lower than a lot of
other groups too.  Fascinating reading for people who get all concerned
about the cost-effectiveness of the various groups.  (Comp.eniac.tcp-ip was
a big loser last month.)

> John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas

You mean there's a Good USENET available?!?!?
--
bob,mon						(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
"In this position, the skier is flying in a complete stall..."

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (07/10/88)

In article <1215@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) writes:
>	I don't agree, but it makes sense.
        ^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^  ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^

Atta boy, Chuck, you tell'em!

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

gudeman@arizona.edu (David Gudeman) (07/13/88)

In article  <1444@csccat.UUCP> loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) writes:
>	Thank you, David, I'll accept that explanation and, in the
>	same spirit, make the following small announcement:
>
>	The discussions have convinced me that .binaries have earned
>	their place on the net...
(Boy, this ruined my whole morning.  My concience was going to let me
get by with only an "explanation", and not the public apology that was
really required, until Mr. Brunow went and got noble.  Nuts.)

Mr. Brunow, I apologize for the uncalled-for insults I posted.

					David Gudeman

(That hurt just as much as I thought it would, but I had it comming.)

gudeman@arizona.edu
{allegra,cmcl2,ihnp4,noao}!arizona!gudeman

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (07/18/88)

David Gudeman (gudeman@arizona.edu) writes:
> Maybe I'm missing something really fundamental here.  Why can't the
> sites that don't want binaries just stop carrying them right now?  Is
> there some technical reason?

I would very much like to stop carrying binaries on mcdchg, even though
I find the IBM PC binaries useful on occasion and my boss finds the Mac
binaries useful on occasion.  There is no technical reason why I can't
stop carrying them right now.  The thing that is stopping me is a continuing
feeling of obligation to carry the comp hierarchy (and the other groups,
less talk and some alt groups) to make them available to the sites I feed.
I feel this obligation even though no such obligation actually exists.
Some day, news volume will be so high that tough choices will have to be
made.  Already, my disk space and modem time is tight.  Moving the binaries
to a new hierarchy for which I would not *feel* responsible would help me
out a great deal.

Don't taunt the administrators of machines that feed multiple megabytes
of traffic through their systems every day with things like, "Why can't the
sites ... just stop carrying them".  If I finally do start cutting off
newsgroups in comp, rec, soc, misc, etc., you might be surprised at just
how little continues to go through here.

I've talked before about BBSs and Compuserve.  I've talked about how cheap
modems really are these days.  I've talked about user groups.  The binaries
don't even have to travel as news.  Alternatives are viable and exist.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Failure is one of the basic Freedoms!" The Doctor (in Robots of Death)