[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] What's comp.ibm.binaries.d??????????

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (07/15/88)

A newgroup message originating from news@nfsun.UUCP just arrived, creating a
new group called 'comp.ibm.binaries.d'. Just what is this group for?? We
already have comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, and I don't remember any discussion
further on the matter. I think this group is kind of redundant.

Did the backbone OK this? nfsun.UUCP is not a site I'm familiar with...

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,mit-eddie,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (07/19/88)

In article <8076@swan.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
> A newgroup message originating from news@nfsun.UUCP just arrived, creating a
> new group called 'comp.ibm.binaries.d'. Just what is this group for?? We
>
> Did the backbone OK this? nfsun.UUCP is not a site I'm familiar with...

Site nfsun is listed as
Intelligent Technologies
116 Evergreen Heights Dr.
Pittsburgh PA 15229

Mark Williamson
(412) 931-7600
Feed from uunet.uu.net

We also received this newgroup. What is their authority?

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (07/19/88)

I had just received and apologetical letter from nfsun about the newgroup
command. Apparently, in order to create a series of newsgroups that they
were missing, they sent a bunch of newgroup commands. Unfortunately, they
were not limited in distribution, and propogated throughout the net. They
used articles from their junk group to create the newsgroups, and for some
reason comp.ibm.binaries.d was created, for reasons still unclear. Someone
from the backbone may wish to send an rmgroup to delete this rogue group.