[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] NEEDED: program to test memory.

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (07/19/88)

I have a couple of flakey bits that get flaged by my POST (Power on
Self Test) and I need a program that will

1) test memory
2) soak the memory,
3) Produce a some what meaningful error message
4) Public Domain / Shareware or cheap commercial (i.e. <= $25).

Machine info: 12MHZ 0 Wait State AT clone, 100ns memory, runs ok at 8Mhz

Nice options:

1) Can test out Extended or Expanded memory
2) Change the area where the progam runs out of, so that all of the
	640k main memory can be tested.

Please send any info or leads to:

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (07/20/88)

In article <8550@ihlpa.ATT.COM> wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) writes:
!!I have a couple of flakey bits that get flaged by my POST (Power on
!!Self Test) and I need a program that will
!!
!!1) test memory
!!2) soak the memory,
!!3) Produce a some what meaningful error message
!!4) Public Domain / Shareware or cheap commercial (i.e. <= $25).
!!

Brown Bag Software has a shareware program called RAMTEST which should do
what you want.  I believe they ask for $25.  They can be reached at
(408)559-4545.

--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu

floden@necssd.NEC.COM (Frederic J. Loden) (07/20/88)

From article <8550@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, by wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford):
> I have a couple of flakey bits that get flaged by my POST (Power on
> Self Test) and I need a program that will
             text deleted

	I am interested in a program like this also. Please include me in
	any responses.   Thanks

					Fred Loden

UUCP:  ...!{ut-sally,necntc}!necssd!floden

rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) (07/20/88)

In article <8550@ihlpa.ATT.COM> wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) writes:
>I have a couple of flakey bits that get flaged by my POST
>
>Machine info: 12MHZ 0 Wait State AT clone, 100ns memory, runs ok at 8Mhz

The manual that comes with my 12MHz clone states that 80ns memory is needed
to run with 0 Wait States, while 120ns (or faster) memory is needed to run
with 1 Wait State.  Perhaps this is your problem.

-- Rick Schubert (rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM)