[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Backing up hard disks

norman@oravax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (07/20/88)

I am about to move, and I want to back up my hard disk before I go.
All I have is the DOS backup program, and, if it detects a disk error
(on one of the many floppies to which I am backing up), it just fails,
and I have to repeat the whole process.  Does anyone know of a good
backup/restore program that can recover from disk errors on the medium
to which the backup is being made?  PD or commercial, I'm looking for
recommendations or binaries.
--
Norman Ramsey
norman%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

kenns@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (07/20/88)

In article <413@oravax.UUCP> norman@oravax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) writes:

>I am about to move, and I want to back up my hard disk before I go.
>All I have is the DOS backup program, and, if it detects a disk error
(Guts ripped out of article for shortness..)
>--
>Norman Ramsey
>norman%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

Well, I've seen a friend use FASTBACK PLUS, from Fifth Generation Systems, Inc.
It's a *VERY* good program, and backs up to many a different type of media..
(standard DOS format)..

I recommend it highly..

Questions?

My card..  (I liked this saying, so I borrowed it..  Sorry.. -Kenn)

 _________________________________  ||  //     _______________________________
|                                 | || //     | If you see me comin' your way |
| They're aren't too many Viruses | ||((      |You'd better gimme plenty space|
|  running around, Just too many  | || \\     | If I tell you that I'm Hungry |
|         Hypochondriacs!         | ||  \\enn |  Den won't you feed my face?  |
|                                 |      ))   |                               |
|              -Me!-              |     //    |         -Weird Al, "Fat"      |
|_________________________________|    //tump |_______________________________|
|                                |-------------| hp-pcd!orstcs!jacobs !kenns  |
|    kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu    |  Are You a  |       .cs.orst.edu--^        |
|________________________________| Super User? |______________________________|
                                Type rm * For Fun

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/20/88)

a) I like the old Fastback - non DOS format disk version
b) We use Take2 a lot here, and people find it reliable if slow
c) this would be a good question for comp.sys.ibm.pc since it's not
   really related to posted binaries.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (07/21/88)

In article <413@oravax.UUCP> norman@oravax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) writes:

>Does anyone know of a good
>backup/restore program that can recover from disk errors on the medium
>to which the backup is being made?  PD or commercial, I'm looking for
>recommendations or binaries.
>--
>Norman Ramsey
>norman%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

For very critical backups I run nortons Disk Test on all my floppies before
I start a back-up.  I also try to run CHKDSK too.  This is time consuming
but some of these files are pretty important.

You might try fastback, I've never used it but it seems pretty comprehensive,
so it might do what you want.
--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or