[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Bugs in PK36.EXE

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (08/11/88)

In article <28236@bbn.COM> clements@BBN.COM (Bob Clements, K1BC) writes:
>Can anyone give details on this alleged bug?  Is there actually
>anything wrong with PK36 other than the legal mess?

Yes, there are a couple of rather nefarious bugs in PK36. One of them
has to do with PK[X]ARC snatching DOS interrupt vectors and not returning
them to their previous values (INT 3 in particular is affected). Apparently
Phil Katz installed this "feature" to prevent casual disassembling of his
code. However, the vectors were not restored after the program exited.

Details of this bug (and others) are available from SIMTEL20 under the
<MSDOS.ARC-LBR> directory (where the MS-DOS archivers are stored). I am
willing to e-mail or post the document files if anybody is interested. The
bugs are real, though - they were independently documented by BBS sysops in
Georgia and California. Most people have been switching back to PKX35A35
until they get the fixed copy of PK36.

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Cato said, "I had rather men should ask why my statue is not set up, than
why it is." - Plutarch