[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SEA versus PKWARE suit settled

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (08/05/88)

[The following is an official release]

                FOR RELEASE ON AUGUST 1, 1988

From:     System Enhancement Associates, Inc. (SEA)
          and
          PKWARE, Inc. and Phillip W. Katz (PK)

August 1, 1988 - Milwaukee, WI

          In the first known "Shareware" litigation, pending in
the local United States District Court, the parties System En-
hancement Associates, Inc. (Plaintiff - SEA) and PKWARE, Inc.
/ Phillip W. Katz (Defendants - PK), after reaching agreement,
consented to the entry of the attached Judgment for Plaintiff
on Consent.  That Judgment was entered by Judge Myron L.
Gordon, effective on August 1, 1988.

          Part of the agreement reached by the parties included
a Confidential Cross-License Agreement under which SEA licensed
PK for all the ARC compatible programs published by PK during
the period beginning with the first release of PKXARC in late
1985 through July 31, 1988 in return for the payment of an
agreed upon sum which was not disclosed.  Additionally, PK was
licensed, for an agreed upon royalty payment, to distribute its
existing versions of PK's ARC compatible programs until January
31, 1989, after which PK is not licensed and agreed not to pub-
lish or distribute any ARC compatible programs or utilities that
process ARC compatible files.  In exchange, PK licensed SEA to
use its source code for PK's ARC compatible programs.

          PK agreed to cease any use of SEA's trademark "ARC"
and to change the names or marks used with PK's programs to
non-confusing designations.

          The Judgment provided for the standard copyright,
trademark and unfair competition injunctive relief for SEA a-
gainst PK, as well as damages and litigation expenses to be paid
by PK to SEA.

          Both parties agreed to refrain from any comment
concerning the settlement of the disputes, other than the text
of this press release.  Also, the parties instructed all of their
representatives to refrain from any such activity.

          Any other details of the Cross-License Agreement
were agreed to be maintained in confidence and under seal of
the Court.

          In reaching the agreement to dispose of the pending
litigation and to settle the disputes that are covered thereby,
PK did not admit any fault or wrongdoing.

jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) (08/06/88)

   Since the source for COMPRESS and HUFFMAN encoding is available in the
public domain, perhaps those of us who are interested should consider coming
up with a public domain standard for archiving based on these sources.
I'm sure that with some effort we can, as a group, arrive at a satisfying
solution.

Jeff Fried                           UUCP: ...!ames!cullsj!jeff

San Jose, CA, 95134 (clearly work)         San Mateo, CA  (home)
(408) 434-6636                             (415) 349-3744

Because a liar tells the truth, does not mean that the truth is a lie.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are solely those of the author.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (08/06/88)

In article <385@cullsj.UUCP> jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:
}
}   Since the source for COMPRESS and HUFFMAN encoding is available in the
}public domain, perhaps those of us who are interested should consider coming
}up with a public domain standard for archiving based on these sources.

Why reinvent the wheel?  Rahul Dhesi's ZOO is public domain, and sources are
available for Unix/MSDOS/Amiga/VMS and probably others.  It uses 13-bit LZW
(same as PKARC's "squashing") and its speed is much closer to PKARC than SEA
ARC.

Another possibility is DWC, which uses a lot more memory, but apparently does
14-bit LZW, and whose speed is even closer to PKARC (almost a tie).
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (08/07/88)

In article <385@cullsj.UUCP> jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:
>   Since the source for COMPRESS and HUFFMAN encoding is available in the
>public domain, perhaps those of us who are interested should consider coming
>up with a public domain standard for archiving based on these sources.
>I'm sure that with some effort we can, as a group, arrive at a satisfying
>solution.

I agree with the sentiment.  Doesn't zoo already do everything arc does,
have widely available source, a *nix compatible design, and very reasonable
copyright terms (they seem to actually protect the users from non-compatible
formats)?  Zoo's copyright terms appear below:

                            COPYRIGHT

Certain rules apply to the distribution of the Zoo archiver.

The following rules apply only to the zoo archiver itself.
Currently, all extract-only programs, and all supporting utili-
ties, are fully in the public domain and are expected to remain so
for the forseeable future.

"This program" refers to version 1.50 and separately to each sub-
sequent version of the Zoo archiver and to all derivative works
thereof.  "Distribution right" refers to any copyright, compila-
tion copyright, license, or other right to control distribution or
copying.  "Compiled code" refers to software that can be executed
by a computer system.

This program is copyrighted but its distribution for noncommercial
purposes is permitted, with the following restrictions.

   - You are prohibited from distributing this program as part of
     any package over which you claim a distribution right.  This
     restriction does not apply if any distribution right is
     claimed only over individual items that you own or for which
     the distribution right has been explicitly assigned to you,
     and not over the package as a collection.

   - You are prohibited from making this program available for
     downloading via telecommunications if you charge a total of
     more than $7.00 per hour at 1200 bps.

   - You are prohibited from distributing this program as compiled
     code unless you also distribute the source code from which
     the compiled code was derived.  This restriction does not
     apply if the compiled code was created by me.

   - You are prohibited from creating, from this program, any
     derivative work over which you claim a distribution right.

The above restrictions may be relaxed by special agreement;
please contact me for details.

                              -- Rahul Dhesi 1987/07/12
                                 UUCP:    iuvax!bsu-cs!dhesi or
                                          pur-ee!bsu-cs!dhesi
                                 GEnie:   DHESI
                                 Plink:   OLS806
                                 Phone:   +1 317 285 8641 daytime EST
                                 US mail: 720 W. Centennial Ave #15,
                                          Muncie, Indiana 47303

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071

evas@euraiv1.UUCP (Eelco van Asperen) (08/07/88)

in article <KPETERSEN.12419918722.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA>, W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) says:
>           In reaching the agreement to dispose of the pending
> litigation and to settle the disputes that are covered thereby,
> PK did not admit any fault or wrongdoing.

Paying a one-time fee and royalties, dropping ARC-compatibility as from
89.01.01 and licensing your source code to the competition at least
to me sounds like giving in and admitting one's guilt.
Let's start using ZOO; better, more portable, complete source code
available, fast enough, no royalties, and the author is on the net.
--
Eelco van Asperen.
uucp:        evas@eurtrx / mcvax!eurtrx!evas	#include <inews/filler.h>

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/09/88)

In article <385@cullsj.UUCP> jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:

|    Since the source for COMPRESS and HUFFMAN encoding is available in the
| public domain, perhaps those of us who are interested should consider coming
| up with a public domain standard for archiving based on these sources.
| I'm sure that with some effort we can, as a group, arrive at a satisfying
| solution.

  How about... zoo! I have been hearing for some months that there was a
new version "almost ready," but I know it won't go out the door this
time until it's believed to be totally bug and surprize free. I strongly
suggest that the binary be posted as uuencoded, and the source be posted
as a zoo file ;-> Alternatively it could be posted to sources.misc,
since it applies to Amiga, etc.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

tmanos@aocgl.UUCP (Theodore W. Manos) (08/14/88)

I wonder if the judge also awarded Phil Katz a jar of Vaseline (tm)?  As for
us, the software/shareware users, we'll all need CASES of the stuff to help
cope with the long-term results of this case.  (What a triumvirate to rule the
future development, or should I say LACK of development, of software - Lotus,
Apple, and S.E.A. :-( :-( :-(
Ted Manos   tmanos@aocgl.{COM,UUCP,UU.NET}  or ...!{uunet,mcdchg}!aocgl!tmanos

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (08/16/88)

I think it's pretty clear now, the JUDGE DID NOT AWARD ANYTHING.  The
case was settled through the agreement of the two parties, and the
settlement was simply made binding by the court.  As far as I can tell,
the judge made no decision on the merits of the case.  That would have
taken years, at least.

The two parties are similar in size, but P.K. obviously decided that
agreement with most of SEA's demands was a better idea than fighting it
out.  (This is often a good idea even if you're right, which is a sad
comment on the justice system.)

So there will never be a judgement about who was right and who was wrong,
although we can all form our own opinions.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/18/88)

Good points, Brad.  In litigation, either of the parties can drag the
case out until they virtually bankrupt the other.  PK may have felt that
he had more to lose by winning the court case than by agreeing to an
out-of-court settlement!