[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Mr. Moderator, please post zoo

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (08/10/88)

OK, It would seem that the net is converting to zoo.  If this is the
case, would someone please post the IBM ZOO executables and the UNIX
sources?
Thanks.
Mark

--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (08/11/88)

In article <Aug.10.12.29.28.1988.15474@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>case, would someone please post the IBM ZOO executables and the
>UNIX source

I second that motion....

--
+------

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (08/12/88)

In article <Aug.10.12.29.28.1988.15474@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>OK, It would seem that the net is converting to zoo.  If this is the
>case, would someone please post the IBM ZOO executables and the UNIX
>sources?

requesting sources and binaries through the net is the most common
thing, just after flaming people for requesting binaries and sources ;-)

there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
every month or so.
--
 jfh@rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"

mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Mike Green) (08/12/88)

In article <Aug.10.12.29.28.1988.15474@topaz.rutgers.edu>, msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> OK, It would seem that the net is converting to zoo.  If this is the
> case, would someone please post the IBM ZOO executables and the UNIX
> sources?
> Thanks.
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
> 61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

 I would like a posting of this too please!

Mike Green, Computer Science, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
	JANET:		mike@uk.ac.kl.cs
	BITNET:		mike%uk.ac.kl.cs@uk.ac
	ARPANET:	mike%uk.ac.kl.cs@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
(last resort :-() UUCP:	mcvax!ukc!kl-cs!mike

larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Larry Gilbert) (08/14/88)

Joe Bob Willie writes,
> there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
> find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
> every month or so.

I agree.  But there are those of us who can't ftp archives.

Does anyone have an idea for a compromise?  Maybe post stuff like that every
THREE months?

--
Larry Gilbert, larryg@jacobs.cs.orst.edu, +1 503 753 3511 (BBS)
(if you are desperate: Larry_Gilbert@f201.n152.z1.fidonet.org)

In article <6031@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Larry Gilbert) writes:

   Joe Bob Willie writes,
   > there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
   > find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
   > every month or so.

   I agree.  But there are those of us who can't ftp archives.

Why not?  jacobs.cs.orst.edu is on the internet, why can't you ftp?  And,
it sounds like you don't want to bother calling the c.b.i.p archives directly.
It so happens that I don't have zoo in the archives, but I'm trying to find
out what the latest version is.  (Rahul, if you're reading this, send me
mail--my mail to you gets forwarded to /dev/null).

   Does anyone have an idea for a compromise?  Maybe post stuff like that every
   THREE months?
Nope.  If you want it, go fetch it from the archive.  The only reason to
repost anything *ever* is when nearly everyone's copy got trashed.

--
nelson@clutx.bitnet, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!nelson

pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (Randall R. Pratt) (08/15/88)

In article <6031@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP writes:
>Joe Bob Willie writes,
>> there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
>> find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
>> every month or so.
>
>I agree.  But there are those of us who can't ftp archives.
>
>Does anyone have an idea for a compromise?  Maybe post stuff like that every
>THREE months?

Plus, I've been waiting for well over six (6) months to see the sources for
the Unix version posted.
--
			Randy Pratt, AT&T Bell Laboratories
			..!{allegra,ihnp4}!mhuxt!pingguo

		["An apple a day keeps the . . . never mind."]

dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/15/88)

In article <NELSON.88Aug14100002@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>In article <6031@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Larry Gilbert) writes:
>
>   Joe Bob Willie writes,
>   > there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
>   > find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
>   > every month or so.
>
>   I agree.  But there are those of us who can't ftp archives.
>
>Why not?  jacobs.cs.orst.edu is on the internet, why can't you ftp?  And,
>it sounds like you don't want to bother calling the c.b.i.p archives directly.
>It so happens that I don't have zoo in the archives, but I'm trying to find
>out what the latest version is.  (Rahul, if you're reading this, send me
>mail--my mail to you gets forwarded to /dev/null).
>
>   Does anyone have an idea for a compromise?  Maybe post stuff like that every
>   THREE months?
>Nope.  If you want it, go fetch it from the archive.  The only reason to
>repost anything *ever* is when nearly everyone's copy got trashed.
>
>--
>nelson@clutx.bitnet, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!nelson

IF ZOO or whatever is voted the "standard", I believe it should be posted
at least ONCE!

It seems to me that there has been more wasted "net bytes" telling people
to "get it from the archives" then there would have been if ZOO had
been posted!

    "This isn't Heaven, this is Cleveland!!!!"

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (08/16/88)

>   Does anyone have an idea for a compromise?
>   Maybe post stuff like that every THREE months?
>
>Nope.  If you want it, go fetch it from the archive.  The only reason to
>repost anything *ever* is when nearly everyone's copy got trashed.
>
>nelson@clutx.bitnet, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!nelson
----------

I certainly hope this wasn't meant to be as rude as it sounds, Mr. Nelson.
Certainly this statement is untrue.  Nearly unanimous need is not necessary,
merely a sufficiently large need.  I would suggest that users try to find
a copy of ZOO on a local BBS or archive site first.  If they can't find it
then request it from the moderator, who may decide to post if there is
sufficient interest.

By the way, not everyone who gets a news feed has ftp access to the archive
sites on the net.

John Hardin
hardin@hpindda.hp.com
-------------

botticel@olympus.steinmetz (David J. Botticello) (08/16/88)

>>In article <6031@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Larry Gilbert) writes:
>>   Joe Bob Willie writes,
>>   > there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
>>   > find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
>>   > every month or so.
>>   I agree.  But there are those of us who can't ftp archives.
>>Why not?  jacobs.cs.orst.edu is on the internet, why can't you ftp?  And,
>>it sounds like you don't want to bother calling the c.b.i.p archives directly.
>>   THREE months?
>>Nope.  If you want it, go fetch it from the archive.  The only reason to
>>repost anything *ever* is when nearly everyone's copy got trashed.

There are many of us who cannot get files via FTP. Except for some who have
access to one of two computers, most of my site is PURPOSELY cut off from the
outside world. FTP is a two way street, if you have FTP access OUT than others
can get FTP access IN. This causes great problems with security at a place
where computer security is taken VERY SERIOUSLY. So, just because one site
has unlimited access to FTP archives, don't work under the assumption that
all do. Yeh, maybe it's just my problem, some would say. But isn't USENET
supposed to be a place of mutual cooperation, not every site for themselves?

my $.02, not my employer's

Dave Botticello  - GE CRD  - phone(voice) 518-387-6065 Home 518-393-8671
E-mail - botticel@orion.steinmetz.ge.com  -modern domain address          or
         uunet!steinmetz!orion!botticel   -archiac source routing version or
         botticel%orion.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa -thru the Arpanet               or
         botticel%orion@steinmetz.UUCP    -You guessed it...thru UUCP

land - 1 River Road KWC-1604    Disclaimer: These are only my opinions,
Schenectady, N.Y. 12301          no one elses! Besides, who would want them!

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (08/16/88)

In article <NELSON.88Aug14100002@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <6031@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> larryg@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Larry Gilbert) writes:
>
>    Joe Bob Willie writes,
>    > there are archive sites which already contain these things, please
>    > find a local archive.  there is no need to continiously repost zoo
>    > every month or so.
>
> Nope.  If you want it, go fetch it from the archive.  The only reason to
> repost anything *ever* is when nearly everyone's copy got trashed.

 Hello All,

[flame proof suit on, and renforced!]

 I cannot agree with the ideas listed above. I agree that there shouldn't be
a re-post every time somebody asks for a copy of a given file, that just
happened to be distributed two weeks ago. What I don't agree with is that
ZOO should not be reposted, that is if we decide to use it as the NEW standard
for distributing files over the net. If everybody votes for ZOO, then that
creates a definate NEED for the accepted standard to be distributed!! I am
sure that a lot of people just ignored the ZOO postings in the past due to
the fact there was NO REAL NEED for it considering everything was being
distributed as an ARC file, but somthing tells me that is about to change.
Well that is my opinion, it it probably won't even get me a cup of coffee :-)

UUCP/SMTP : howardl@wb3ffv		|	Howard D. Leadmon
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ W3ITM		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
IP Address: 44.60.0.1			|	P.O. Box  171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171

dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/16/88)

In article <35180003@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:

>By the way, not everyone who gets a news feed has ftp access to the archive
>sites on the net.
>
>John Hardin
>hardin@hpindda.hp.com
>-------------

OK, I admit my ignorance on FTP!!!!  HOW do I access these archives. Please
assume I only have access to email & usenet.

Please give specific examples.

Thanks........

.

brickman@cme-durer.ARPA (Jonathan E. Brickman) (08/18/88)

>In article <NELSON.88Aug14100002@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
>I am sure that a lot of people just ignored the ZOO postings in the past due
>to the fact there was NO REAL NEED for it considering everything was being
>distributed as an ARC file, but somthing tells me that is about to change.

Maybe net-wise, but has anybody out there actually seen a phone-based
BBS dealing in ZOO files?  I haven't!  From what I've seen, they seem to
be blithely ARCing away, waiting till it freezes over (a.k.a. when
PKs aren't ARCS).  I'm certainly for ZOO; I think a re-unification
is necessary.  However, if BBSs don't touch ZOO, it's not too likely
to get a tremendous PD user base, true?

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (08/23/88)

Dave Lowrey (dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com) writes:
> OK, I admit my ignorance on FTP!!!!  HOW do I access these archives. Please
> assume I only have access to email & usenet.
>
> Please give specific examples.

This is the most succinct expression of the "problem" I've yet seen.

Many people have whined about not being on the ARPA Internet.  Well, I'm
not, either.  I was, about five years ago.  It was very convenient.  At
least one person has whined about not being able to add an L.Sys file
entry, because he doesn't seem to know the phone number of his system
administrator.  But, this article forms the question quite well.  "How
can I access an archive site assuming I have only email and usenet?"

My first question in response is, "What's your email and usenet connected
to?"  In other words, if you have managed to get an article off of amdahl,
in fact out of .amdahl.com altogether, how did you do it?  I presume that
you used either the Netnews software or Notesfiles and that your article
eventually reached a non-amdahl system from which it propagated according
to normal Usenet propagation practices.  Well, if that is the case, it
likely reached that non-amdahl system by one of two mechanisms.  It either
got their via NNTP on the Internet or via UUCP.  (It is possible that
someone cut a tape or used Kermit or some other method, though I consider
such to be highly unlikely.)

In any event, your words reached the outside world.  Even if your system
does not have Internet access or modems, you can reach a system that does.
Presumably, this system is also owned by your company.  Now, let's assume
that your company's management believes that accessing archives of various
information is a *GOOD THING*.  If they didn't, you shouldn't be trying
to do this, anyway.  In that case, you should go out and buy a modem for
your PC.  (Come to think of it, that's often the best approach, anyway.)

Ok, so it's ok with Corporate for you to get archived material, but you
are running into some kind of local political or security problem that
keeps you from doing the simple (RTFM) thing on your customary system.
In this case, you need to arrange for that system that can talk to the
real world to do your archive accessing for you.  One method would be
to construct a daemon on that machine which would read its mailbox every
now and then and convert mailed requests for files into FTP/UUCP requests
of appropriate archives, mailing the requested files back (over the internal
corporate network) to the originator of the request.  Another method would
use a private newsgroup.  People wanting a file from an archive would
post an article requesting the file.  Perhaps the private group would
be moderated, with the moderator being that same daemon, reading the
requests in its mailbox.  Perhaps the daemon would simply look for request
articles in the newsgroup.  But, in either case, the daemon would post the
file back to the private newsgroup so that the entire company might benefit
from the archive access (and its associated network/phone expense).

If you can't do this, then you should re-visit the question of whether
your company's management believes that archive access is a *GOOD THING*.
You may have a sales job to do with upper management.  Good luck.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Failure is one of the basic Freedoms!" The Doctor (in Robots of Death)