[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Why are there so many REPOSTS?

chl@whuts.UUCP (LANG) (08/24/88)

   It seems to me that there have been alot of files getting posted
   to comp.binaries.ibm.pc that have already been posted.   I can
   understand reposting of ZOO200 and LOOZ210 (and other archivers
   every so often), but this is the second time I have seen MORIA483
   OMEGA, and a bunch of others.   Sometimes you think it it is a new
   version and do all of the work to get from UNIX to your PC only
   to find it is a duplicate.

   Hasn't anyone else noticed that there have been alot of REPOSTS
   which are not being called reposts.

   Charlie Lang
   whuts!chl

danno@microsoft.UUCP (Daniel A. Norton) (08/26/88)

In article <4699@whuts.UUCP>, chl@whuts.UUCP (LANG) writes:

>    It seems to me that there have been alot of files getting posted
>    to comp.binaries.ibm.pc that have already been posted...

That's funny; it seems to me that half of the postings are getting
dropped.  This is especially wasteful, since 8 parts of a 14 part
posting are worthless, especially since they are all required to
make a single ARC file.

I don't even know what "Omega" is, but I do know that about a
quarter of a megabyte will reach here.  I wonder how many sites
this useless quarter of a megabyte passes through, especially
since it is worthless.

Was the introduction to this also dropped.  Part 1 just jumped right
into uuencoded stuff w/o an introduction.

I would like to make a few suggestions to our moderator:

1) Introduce a posting before the posting or in the first part.
Better yet, introduce it in c.b.i.p.d since it might get dropped
from c.b.i.p (at least I'll know what I'm missing so I can look
for it, if I want).

2) Don't require me to coalesce 14 articles before being able to
look at the posting.  I doubt that I could feed these parts into
de-ARC even to extract a README.  Instead, limit the pieces to
2 or three articles per part.  At least I'll have a chance of
getting something, perhaps a README, some documentation, or, if
I'm very very lucky, and executable.

>    Hasn't anyone else noticed that there have been alot of REPOSTS
>    which are not being called reposts.

Don't I wish! :-)  But seriously, if this is going on, I can
hardly blame those sites who may be dropping articles deliberately
because such reposts aren't cheap, and there sure aren't getting here
(I know, it's a vicious circle).
--
Any opinions expressed are mine, not my employer's.
nortond@microsof.beaver.washington.EDU nortond%microsof@uw-beaver.ARPA

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (William Svirsky) (08/26/88)

+
+   Hasn't anyone else noticed that there have been alot of REPOSTS
+   which are not being called reposts.

I think what we are seeing is that the UNIX source is getting posted to
a source news group and then we are seeing the source and/or binary of
the MSDOS port of the UNIX source getting posted to the ibm.pc groups.
I know for a fact the the UNIX source for OMEGA was posted just recently.

--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597

chl@whuts.UUCP (LANG) (09/01/88)

Some people are missing the point of my first complaint about
reposts in binaries.ibm.   I'm complaing about reposting when
alot of people are complaining the they have missed particular
pieces.   I saying that the files being posted have already
been posted along (up to several 6 months ago) time ago and
all the initial "I missed it complaints" have passed.
I don't want to see games or utilities of the same version
number over and over again.   As I said before, the exceptions
are ARCHIVER's and UUen/decode stuff that new comers need to have
posted every so often.

LET'S STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME AND MONEY WITH ""UN-NECESSARY""
REPOSTS.

Charlie Lang
whuts!chl

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/01/88)

In article <4720@whuts.UUCP> chl@whuts.UUCP (LANG) writes:
>I saying that the files being posted have already
>been posted along (up to several 6 months ago) time ago and
>all the initial "I missed it complaints" have passed.
>I don't want to see games or utilities of the same version
>number over and over again.

The newsgroup comp.binaries.ibm.pc has been through rough times.  It
was initially moderated.  Then it change to unmoderated, but remained
aliased to comp.sys.ibm.pc at some sites, so many postings that were
supposed to be in comp.binaries.ibm.pc got moved at random sites to
comp.sys.ibm.pc, resulting in much confusion.  And while it was
unmoderated, there was so much non-binary discussion in it that it was
difficult to keep track of what was posted in it.

The result of all this is that your moderator (me) has no reliable
records of what has been posted already in comp.binaries.ibm.pc, and if
something was posted, whether it was widely propagated.
I'm forced to start from scratch.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi