[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] DOS [un]compress / tar

spolsky@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (09/23/88)

BOY could I use a compatible PC-DOS [un]compress or tar facility. Why
oh why can't kermit compress things automatically? :-)

I have the sources to compress but I imagine porting it is non-trivial
(it looks pretty hairy and machine-dependant?) so I don't want to
undertake this if it has been done.

Actually a UNIX ARC or ZOO would be nice too :-)

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause
some watery tart threw a sword at you!!"

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/23/88)

In article <38596@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>BOY could I use a compatible PC-DOS [un]compress or tar facility. Why

I have a version of GNU tar that I have modified to compile under
Turbo C and run under MSDOS.  It has some bugs (inherent in the
GNU version) but is quite usable.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California
95616 916-752-1636/0776

INTERNET:   ucdked!cck@ucdavis.edu
UUCP:       ucdavis!ucdked!cck

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (09/23/88)

In article <38596@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>BOY could I use a compatible PC-DOS [un]compress ...
>
>I have the sources to compress but I imagine porting it is non-trivial
>(it looks pretty hairy and machine-dependant?) so I don't want to
>undertake this if it has been done.

For the version from the News 2.11 distribution, all I had to do (I think)
was to #define pcxt.  I know it wasn't much work.  (This for MSC4.)
(It does behave a little stupidly as far as trying to slap a ".Z" on the
end of the filename; DOS doesn't think much of "foo.c.z"...)