[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Submitting files

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (09/23/88)

I have a program that is ARC'd and UUdecoded and ready to post.
But it is kind of BIG (4347 lines) and I want to know what
is the best size to break this down into?  9 groups of
500 lines? Or bigger, or smaller?

Any suggestions?

Tom Johnson
john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

     ARPA: john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
   BITNET: john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
     UUCP: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!john1233

All flames by E-mail please.

haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (09/23/88)

In article <6861@uwmcsd1.UUCP> john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
>I have a program that is ARC'd and UUdecoded and ready to post.
>But it is kind of BIG (4347 lines) and I want to know what
>is the best size to break this down into?  9 groups of
>500 lines? Or bigger, or smaller?
>
>Any suggestions?

try to keep the size of any file you ever mail over the net
to under 64K as an absolute maximum.  less than 50K is a much
better limit.

personally, i try to keep files under 5 minutes transmission
time per file.  this seems to prevent major losage from files
being trashed by a line hit in the middle of a file.

a 500 line uuencoded file is right at 30,000 bytes.  that
should work just fine.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers-=-=-=-=-=-=
               Very Long Address: John.F.Haugh@rpp386.dallas.tx.us