From spolsky-avram@CS.YALE.EDU Thu Sep 22 16:35:57 1988
From: spolsky-avram@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1988 23:35:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Transfer instructions
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Sender: root@yale.UUCP

In article <3717@charon.unm.edu> cn4gr8ag@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Bob Knudson) writes:
|Could someone please post or e-mail me instructions on how to move and convert
|files from this newgroup to an ibm pc...(I'm sure this is a common question)

Step one. Save them in a file, and remove all the garbage from the top
          (retain only a "begin XXX filename" line)
Step two. If there is more than one file, concatenate them. Make sure
	  no blank lines get in between them
Step three. Run uudecode on that file.
Step four. You should now have a file named whatever.arc (assuming
           the format is .arc). Use kermit to download it thus:
Step five. Start kermit on the host. enter "set parity none" and
           "set file type binary".
Step six.  "set parity none" on your local kermit. (With genuine
           MSkermit, type ctrl-] c set parity none <cr> c <cr>
Step seven. On the systems kermit, enter "send <filename>"
Step eight. Escape to your local kermit and issue a "receive" command.
	   (With MSkermit ctrl-] c r <cr>)
Step nine. Issue a "quit" command to the mainframe kermit
Step ten.  On the IBM-PC, deArc the files. The command will be
           PKUNPAK -e filename.arc destination-directory
           ^^^^^^^or ARC if that's what you have

Easy, n'est-ce pas?

If this helps you PLEASE save this posting and re-post it for me
everytime a neophyte asks that question, ok? thanks. :-)

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause
some watery tart threw a sword at you!!"

From w8sdz@smoke.ARPA Sat Sep 24 00:31:05 1988
From: w8sdz@smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen )
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1988 07:31:05 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

Here is the COMBINE script for use with comp.binaries.ibm.pc

#! /bin/sh
cat $* | sed '/^END/,/^BEGIN/d' | uudecode