[net.followup] Net Education

dfile@ecsvax.UUCP (Dean File) (05/01/86)

> []
>
> 	Have there ever been any ideas for using the net for cooperative
> education? I don't mean this in the university sense* but in the literal
> sense. There are a lot of intelligent people on the net with expertise
> in different areas. Everyone could learn a lot from the experts in other
> areas (I know I could learn a lot from experts in net.ai and net.crypt
> for example) in return for their own contributions.

The net is *already* an excellent vehicle for cooperative education.  But
to formalize this image would stultify the possibilities.  The net effect
(pun intended) would be to create a 'class consciousness'--a class of
experts and a class of learners.  I prefer the 'blur' as it now exists.
Not only is there an absence of the clear expert/novice dichotomy, but
also of the academic/'real world' one.  The democratizing nature of the
electronic network is one of its biggest plusses as a true educational
enterprise.

In article <9667@ritcv.UUCP> jjv3345@ritcv.UUCP (Jeff Van Epps) writes:
>   ... There are a lot of intelligent people on the net with expertise
>in different areas. Everyone could learn a lot from the experts in other
>areas (I know I could learn a lot from experts in net.ai and net.crypt
>for example) in return for their own contributions.

Well, now, I kind of thought this was the way the net was supposed
to be working already, instead of as a sounding board for hotheads.
(Hint?  No: outright statement!)  For examples of how it should be
working, look at some of the moderated technical newsgroups, or even
up to 75% of some of the unmoderated ones.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}