[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Software turbo switch for PC clone

goehring@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott Goehring) (10/02/88)

Looking for a program that will kick a clone into 8MHz mode automatically
(without having to use the keyboard).  For autoexec files.

--
Scott Goehring			ARPA: 	goehring@medusa.cs.purdue.edu
				PURDUE: dcb@n, kz4@i, kpi@i

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (10/03/88)

In article <5009@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> goehring@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott Goehring) writes:
>Looking for a program that will kick a clone into 8MHz mode automatically
>(without having to use the keyboard).  For autoexec files.

Funny.  I just wrote one the other day.  I can't guarantee that it'll
work on _your_ machine, but it might.  I just explored the BIOS (int 09h) until
I found the code executed when ctrl-alt-grey_minus is detected, and
changed a few lines to give me an underscore cursor instead of the ugly
blob the BIOS makes.  You can change it as you like by changing
0B0C (cursor lines 11-12) to whatever you prefer; 0607 is standard for a CGA,
for example.

It's a DEBUG script:

N TURBOXT.COM
IN	AL,61                              ; get 8255 port B
OR	AL,04                              ; set unused (turbo) bit
OUT	61,AL                              ; and output
MOV	AH,01                              ; set cursor type function
MOV	CX,0B0C                            ; 11 12 for mono/herc (6 7 for cga)
INT	10                                 ; video interrupt
INT	20                                 ; and terminate

RCX
0F

I put this into my AUTOEXEC.BAT, and now my system comes up in turbo (8 Mhz)
mode.

Hope it works for you!

--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
BEC Public Excess Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

goehring@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott Goehring) (10/04/88)

In article <5009@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> I write:
>Looking for a program that will kick a clone into 8MHz mode automatically
>(without having to use the keyboard).  For autoexec files.

Thanks to all who replied; I now have a satisfactorily functional program.
If anybody wants the source or the 8-byte executable please mail me.

Scott
--

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (10/06/88)

in article <5020@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, (Scott Goehring) says:
> If anybody wants the source or the 8-byte executable please mail me.

You might have enclosed the uuencode binary in your message.  Probably
that would have been shorter than this extra garbage I'm writing now.
<Jan>               (ok, I'll say it myself to prevent you flamers =-O