[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZOO Copyrights

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (09/12/88)

In article <814@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> > In article <3869@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> > So let's avoid these strongly-worded arguments and realize that we are
> > talking about free software that I write primarily for fun.
>
> I understand your not wanting anyone to make money from your efforts,
> but not why it's OK for some commercial services to collect for
> downloads but not others.

What I don't understand is why it's OK for me to download ZOO from CI$
at 300 baud, but not at 1200 bps.  Or from GEnie at 1200 bps, but not
at 2400 bps.  Someone else asked a similar question a few days ago and
I still can't fathom an answer.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/15/88)

In article <8809120017.AA03509@slvblc.UUCP> slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Dick
Flanagan) writes:
>What I don't understand is why it's OK for me to download ZOO from CI$
>at 300 baud, but not at 1200 bps.  Or from GEnie at 1200 bps, but not
>at 2400 bps.

No Dick, that's not how it is.  The requirements are to be followed by
whoever distributes zoo 2.x, not by the person downloading it.

The requirement is that whoever distributes zoo 2.x online do so for no
more than $8/hour at 1200 bps during evening/night hours.  I don't care
about other times or other data rates.  Even $100/hour at 300 bps and
2400 bps is fine, so long as people can call at 1200 bps and get the
$8/hour rate.

I don't care about the charge at 2400 bps because anybody who can
download at 2400 bps can also download at 1200 bps.  All the modems and
networks that handle 2400 bps also handle 1200 bps.  The reverse is not
necessarily true.

I don't care about 300 bps because it is nearly obsolete.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (10/01/88)

In <3955@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>The requirement is that whoever distributes zoo 2.x online do so for no
>more than $8/hour at 1200 bps during evening/night hours.  I don't care
>about other times or other data rates.  Even $100/hour at 300 bps and
>2400 bps is fine, so long as people can call at 1200 bps and get the
>$8/hour rate.
>
>I don't care about the charge at 2400 bps because anybody who can
>download at 2400 bps can also download at 1200 bps.  All the modems and
>networks that handle 2400 bps also handle 1200 bps.  The reverse is not
>necessarily true.

Would it be OK for CompuServe to make zoo.exe available for download
from its Fourm Libraries if no users had the ability to download it at
1200 baud at all?  I've been discussing the technical end of this with
some of our people, and it seems that it is theoretically possible to
prevent downloads of a particular file at a particular speed.

All this seems more than a little silly, but I suppose you have a right
to do whatever you want with your program.  After all, I support Woody
Allen's right to keep people from colorizing his films.

Anyway, what do you think of my possible solution?
--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

In article <6703@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:

   Nevertheless I would prefer to see someone give Rahul a steak dinner or
   whatever it takes to get him to remove the ugly new restrictions on ZOO
   and open it up for standardization on Usenet and elsewhere.

What's wrong with the older, public domain versions of ZOO?
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life.

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (10/14/88)

In article <absurb-message-id> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>What's wrong with the older, public domain versions of ZOO?

For one, they aren't public domain.  Read the fine print.  You can't
restrict usage of something in the public domain.