[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: VI editor for the PC

NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) (10/06/88)

Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?

                -Tim

BITNET:   NU099138@NDSUVM1
Internet: NU099138@vm1.nodak.edu
UUCP:     ..!psuvax1!NDSUVM1.BITNET!NU099138

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (10/06/88)

In article <1426NU099138@NDSUVM1> NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
>Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?

Check the msgs in comp.editors (or something like that).  For my
money, the one by Custom Software Systems is/was best, but I think
it is no longer available.  I believe Lattice had one almost as good.
And the .editors messages talked about a few PD implementations, but
I know nothing about them.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@spenser.ll.mit.edu]
  My opinions are seldom shared by MIT Lincoln Lab, my actual

pfrennin@altos86.UUCP (Peter Frenning) (10/07/88)

The MKS Toolset includes an excellent version of the vi editor, plus a
host of other unix tools as well as a sh look-alike shell.

PS: I have absolutely no affiliation with MKS, I don't even own
    a copy of their product, but I have used it.

|      Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose                 |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| I don't need a dis-| JackNet:        mgr.prodmkt!pfrennin             |
| claimer, since all | USENET:         pfrennin@altos86.UUCP            |
| my statements are  | VOICE:          (408) 496-6700                   |
| borrowed, and pro- | SNAILMAIL:      2641 Orchard Parkway             |
| bably already dis- |                 San Jose, CA 95134               |
| claimed by someone |                                                  |
| else!              | FAX:            (408) 433-9335                   |
|                PF  |                                                  |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (10/07/88)

In article <1426NU099138@NDSUVM1>, NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
> Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?

I believe there is a program called VIPC or PCVI that works pretty much like
the vi in UN*X.  I'm not sure where to get it though.
--

:-{)     Remember, no matter where you go, there you are! (Pig Killer)     (}-:

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (10/11/88)

In article <8388@mhuxu.UUCP>, jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
> In article <1426NU099138@NDSUVM1>, NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
> > Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?
>
> I believe there is a program called VIPC or PCVI that works pretty much like
> the vi in UN*X.  I'm not sure where to get it though.

PC-VI is advertised in Byte, Unix/World, Unix Review, and other computer
related magazines.  List price is $149, but I've seen it advertised for $99.

I have never tried the product, but I've seen their literature (read interest
cards are real nice).  It appears (and claims) to be a complete *port* of
vi from the Berkeley source code to the pc.

There are other news sources than the net, you know. :-)

   --Hal

  Hal Heydt                             |    "Hafnium plus Holmium is
  Analyst, Pacific*Bell                 |     one-point-five, I think."
  415-645-7708                          |       --Dr. Jane Robinson
  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhya!whh

rkl1@hound.UUCP (R.SAUER) (10/11/88)

	There is an excellent software package for PC's called the MKS ToolKit.
Not only does it have a good version of VI, but also about 95 other Unix
Utilities that have been ported to the DOS environment.  A few of the other
utilities include Ksh, Yacc, cd, the Grep family, SED, cmp, cpio, mv, rm and
on and on.  In other words, just about anything you normally do on Unix is
now available for DOS.

	The MKS ToolKit is available from:

		Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
		43 Bridgeport Road East
		Waterloo, Ontario
		Canada   N2J 2J4
		(519) 884-2251
		UUCP:  {allegra, decvax, ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit

	Price is about $189 last I checked.  Try it...You'll definitely like it.

--R. Kevin Laux  (hound!rkl1)

jklah@mipon2.intel.com (JK Lah) (10/11/88)

In article <8388@mhuxu.UUCP> jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
>In article <1426NU099138@NDSUVM1>, NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
>> Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?
>
>I believe there is a program called VIPC or PCVI that works pretty much like
>the vi in UN*X.  I'm not sure where to get it though.
>--
>
>:-{)     Remember, no matter where you go, there you are! (Pig Killer)     (}-:
>
>J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

PC/vi was sold by Custom Software Systems in Natick, MA.
But I heard a rumor that they have 'inappropriately' ported
AT&T version and a law suit was pending.  Last time I called
the company which was about a year ago, they didn't answer the
phone.  The following is their address and phone number, just in
case they are back in business.  I have no further interest in
their product at this time.  The version I purchased before the
rumor works great.  I haven't found any problem yet.  Good luck.

	CSS
	PO Box 678
	Natick, MA 01760
	(617)653-2555

JK Lah
Intel Corp.

grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) (10/11/88)

In article <20591@pbhya.PacBell.COM> whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) writes:
>PC-VI is advertised in Byte, Unix/World, Unix Review, and other computer
>related magazines.  List price is $149, but I've seen it advertised for $99.
>There are other news sources than the net, you know. :-)

Ahh, but if you HAD been reading the net, you would have discovered that
Custom Software Systems, the company behind PC/VI is now defunct after
being sued by AT&T for stealing UNIX source code!  As I remember, the
programs in question were UNIX utilities incorporated in the PC/TOOLS
package and not PC/VI.  Pity, since PC/VI was a fine product.  MKS/VI is
now the only game in town (and is a fine product as well; but I like PC/VI
better).
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (10/11/88)

There was a version of vi for dos posted a while back, and I managed
to save it.  First, since it was posted, it is available on an archive
server somewhere.  But, for those who cannot reach an archive server,
send me a formatted 5 1/4 " disk with return postage (stamps are fine)
and I will put it on for you.  (I would offer to email it, but my 'email
quota' is about used up due to another 'little' project I am undertaking.)
It is about a 23k archive, so I will put all the other editors I
have on the disk as well.  I also have some games posted here, so
let me know if you prefer that.  Either 360k or 1.2 meg disks are fine.
(I suppose I *COULD* post it, but then that would be counter-productive,
given the fact that we have backup servers... or at least I *think* it
would be.)
-----
Rusty Carruth   UUCP: {uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075x296 \  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (10/12/88)

In article <8388@mhuxu.UUCP> jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
>I believe there is a program called VIPC or PCVI that works pretty much like
>the vi in UN*X.  I'm not sure where to get it though.

In the June/July issue of The C Users Journal, pg 33, PC/VI and its
developer, Custom Software Systems are reported to be out of business.
Various PC/VI distributors are supposedly clearing their inventory of CSS
software, possibly at reduced prices, with a warning that no support is
available for the package.  The article states CSS was sued by AT&T over
alleged copyright infringements, and CSS evidently settled out of court by
agreeing to "refrain from offering products that purport to be implementations
of, or functionally equivalent to" Unix.  One of the principals (unnamed) of
CSS confirmed that the company has gone out of business.

--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

rtregn@immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Robert Regn) (10/12/88)

In article <1426NU099138@NDSUVM1>, NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
> Does anyone have a version of VI that works on the PC?
>

>                 -Tim
>
> BITNET:   NU099138@NDSUVM1
> Internet: NU099138@vm1.nodak.edu
> UUCP:     ..!psuvax1!NDSUVM1.BITNET!NU099138

 I can advise the vi of Custom Software Systems too. It's price is about
150 $ and I have worked with him one year. I believe, it has all features
even ab and map.
When you want save money and have a C compiler, you can get probably a clone,
called Stevie from Tony Andrews ( onecom!wldrdg!tony), but it has no ex commands
and ab !! map ...

			Robert Regn							rtregn.faui32.uucp

tony@wldrdg.UUCP (Tony Andrews) (10/14/88)

You may be referring to the editor 'stevie' that has been posted to
comp.sources.unix. I'm preparing a new release of the editor for
posting. The new version is much improved over the last posting and
now supports:
		DOS
		OS/2
		Minix-ST
		Atari ST (native)
		UNIX (System V and BSD)

The posted version will probably support Minix-PC too, if I get
diffs from someone who's done that port. The new version may be
posted to comp.os.minix, since comp.sources.unix seems to be in
limbo.

--tony

--
Tony Andrews			UUCP: onecom!wldrdg!tony