[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Moratorium on zoo discussion--please

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (10/14/88)

It's my impression that many net readers are getting tired of this zoo
copyright debate.  I suggest a moratorium on this topic for the next 4
weeks.  If you agree, post nothing on this subject until November 15.
(Or express your opinions by sending email to me.)

(To discourage follow-ups, I'm directing them to "junk".  If you do
follow up, please edit the header.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/16/88)

In article <4320@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>It's my impression that many net readers are getting tired of this zoo
>copyright debate.

Based on what?  Telling one's net.colleagues to shut up about a topic
of this importance deserves a little factual support.  Has Rahul been
getting netmail complaints or what?  I haven't seen anything.

>                   I suggest a moratorium on this topic for the next 4
>weeks.  If you agree, post nothing on this subject until November 15.
>(Or express your opinions by sending email to me.)

There is no justification offered for such a moratorium, beyond vague
"impressions" of reader ennui.  *IF* Rahul were suggesting a moratorium
because, for instance, he planned to release a political-game-free
version of ZOO in a couple of weeks that would render this discussion
moot, that would be one thing.  *OR* if someone other than Rahul (who
is clearly an interested party in the discussion) originated the suggestion,
it might be worth considering.  As it is, I don't see why we shouldn't
continue to discuss the issue as we see fit.  Sorry.

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

rmpinchback@watmum.waterloo.edu (Reid M. Pinchback) (10/16/88)

In article <6962@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <4320@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>It's my impression that many net readers are getting tired of this zoo
>>copyright debate.
>
>Based on what?  Telling one's net.colleagues to shut up about a topic
>of this importance deserves a little factual support.  Has Rahul been
>getting netmail complaints or what?  I haven't seen anything.
>
>--
>Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff

For those of us who ARE sick of this topic, how 'bout those who want
to discuss it stick to the "Re: Moratorium on zoo discussion--please" subject
line, while the rest of us put in a KILL file.  That way we don't have
to pay attention to those articles any more.  Alas, this still means that
people who pay for their newsfeed are stuck with the extra net volume,
but you can't keep everybody happy all of the time.  :-)

     Reid M. Pinchback

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (10/17/88)

Tom Neff (tneff@dasys1.UUCP) writes:
> Based on what?  Telling one's net.colleagues to shut up about a topic
> of this importance deserves a little factual support.  Has Rahul been
> getting netmail complaints or what?  I haven't seen anything.

Hi, folks!  Ordinarily, I wouldn't post something like this, but Tom
seems to be asking for it.

I'm sick to death of the endless debates on archive formatters.

I think the whole SEA vs PK thing stinks to high heaven.

I think people deciding to go with "whatever" PK might some day
come out with (except that last I heard, he couldn't) would be
their new standard is completely insane.

I think some of the ZOO restrictions are silly.

I think that people not willing to work with Rahul on a special case
permission or working with him to get the restrictions more "reasonable"
is stupid.

There, now that I've offended almost everybody in this newsgroup that
I respect, I'll do what I join Rahul in urging everyone else do.  Let's
shut up about archivers for a while and let the dust settle.  Of course,
if someone managed to come up with a truly original thought that hasn't
already been beaten to death here, I'd be happy to see it.  I'm not
holding my breath.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"There is a fine line between stupidity and cleverness." (This is Spinal Tap)