[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] GSARC - File Archive Utility

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (10/18/88)

After playing briefly with the new GSARC Files Archive Utility by Nogate
Consulting (available at SIMTEL as GSARC10.EXE.1) I noticed a couple of
things:

1. GSARC is about half as fast as PK, but much faster than SEA.  Except
   for very heavy use, the difference in speed is not significant.

2. GSARC introduces crushing, a method of compression that is tighter
   than squashing.  A command line switch can disable crushing or
   squashing, producing PK or SEA compatible files.  But: when I used
   the switch to produce a PK compatible file (squashing about twenty
   text files of varying sizes into a single archive) the archive was
   larger than one squashed by PKPAK.  Thus, if you use crushing you
   do get a tighter archive, but if you want a PK compatible archive
   you get better results with PK.

3. Both PK and GSARC can produce self-extracting archives, but the
   overhead for GSARC is slightly larger.

4. This may be a RTFM problem (although I did RTFM), but I could find
   no way to extract a file from an archive to the screen.  I keep the
   dozens of stupid little readme files that come with every software
   package in a single large archive.  When I have to consult one the
   simplest course is to extract it directly to the screen.  Can this
   be done with GSARC?

5. One can not help but notice that GSARC not only contains 'ARC' in
   its name but creates archive files with the extension .ARC.  Does
   anyone know whether an agreement has been reached with SEA?  If
   not, could NoGate run into the same problems as PK?  If so, is
   part of the GSARC registration going to SEA as a licensing fee?

--David Birnbaum

David J. Birnbaum                 djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
11 Adams Terrace                  djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]
Cambridge, MA 02128               djb@wjh12.uucp [UUCP]

BITNET WARNING: The only valid bitnet address is djb@harvunxw.bitnet.
Bitnet mail sent to me at any other domain may not be delivered.
Please do not trust your mailer to supply the correct address.

dennis@raphel.UUCP (Dennis Vogel) (10/19/88)

In article <315@wjh12.harvard.edu>, djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) writes:
> After playing briefly with the new GSARC Files Archive Utility by Nogate
> Consulting (available at SIMTEL as GSARC10.EXE.1) I noticed a couple of
> things:

Is someone planning on posting GSARC to comp.binaries.ibm.pc?
Those of us who do not have access to SIMTEL would appreciate it.

Dennis R. Vogel    AT&T Bell Laboratories    Somerset, NJ

linhart@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mike Threepoint) (10/24/88)

For those of you who scoured SIMTEL looking for GSARC10.EXE.1 (like
me), to find it not there, will be interested to know I found it as
PAK10.EXE.1, whose principal difference seems to be that every
occurrence of "GSARC" (except one) has been replaced by "PAK".  It is
dated 4 days later than GSARC.  It functions exactly the same, and
supports the new "crushing" compression method.

(Patterns!  You know, I thought this might have been a joke when I
 first read it...)