[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MKS Login

jagardner@watmath.waterloo.edu (Jim Gardner) (10/22/88)

In article <5410@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> hartung@amos.UUCP (Jeff Hartung) writes:
>The most disappointing feature was the login shell which I really wanted to
>work like a U*IX login shell, but which offered no file protection for
>individual users at all and seemed to be mostly a pain in the a**.  Sure, it
>might limit access somewhat, but it didn't seem to be worth the effort just to
>give different users a home directory and option of using "sh" vs COMMAND.COM.
>When I want to use the Korn shell, I run it from COMMAND.COM as a subshell.

How would you implement file protection and still allow regular DOS
programs to work with the file system? They will do their file i/o
through DOS (or BIOS), and there's nothing MKS can do (short of re-writing
DOS) to make these programs obey any protection scheme.

I use the login shell to set up different environments for different projects.
The home directory is set to a convenient place, aliases are set to make
sense for that particular project (e.g., cc is aliased to the appropriate
compiler with appropriate options), and environment variables can be set
for the project (e.g., Microsoft C include and library paths).

No, DOS isn't Unix. There are still good uses for a login shell.

David Tanguay

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (10/26/88)

In article <21629@watmath.waterloo.edu> jagardner@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
>How would you implement file protection and still allow regular DOS
>programs to work with the file system? They will do their file i/o
>through DOS (or BIOS), and there's nothing MKS can do (short of re-writing
>DOS) to make these programs obey any protection scheme.

Yes, you have a point.  However, with programs like login and chmod, etc. it
seemed to imply that this was the reason for the login shell.  Of course, if
one takes the time to read on, it is stated outright that this is not the case
and cannot be implemented, as you point out, under MS-DOS.  I guess it just
*seemed* that this should be so if one were to call it a login shell.

>I use the login shell to set up different environments for different projects.
>The home directory is set to a convenient place, aliases are set to make
>sense for that particular project (e.g., cc is aliased to the appropriate
>compiler with appropriate options), and environment variables can be set
>for the project (e.g., Microsoft C include and library paths).

I guess I'll have to admit that for this sort of application, the MKS login is
just what the doctor ordered, but have you not also run into problems with
programs that won't run when the Korn shell is used as command interpreter?  I
always seemed to be using COMMAND.COM rather than SH.EXE for this reason and
eventually gave up on setting up SH in either a login or AUTOEXEC.BAT and
simply invoke it when needed as a sub-shell, then exit when I'm done with it.
(Of course, this is why they give four ways to use the MKS Toolkit depending on
one's needs. :-)

Anyhow, thanks for enlightening me on applications that make sense with the
MKS login shell.  (By the ways, I think that you'll still have to agree that
*easy* is probably not the word one would use to describe the level of effort
needed to install the login. :-)

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: "Nobody here really cares what I think anyhow."
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - !ucsd!ling!amos!hartung

jagardner@watmath.waterloo.edu (Jim Gardner) (10/26/88)

In article <5427@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> hartung@amos.UUCP (Jeff Hartung) writes:
>I guess I'll have to admit that for this sort of application, the MKS login is
>just what the doctor ordered, but have you not also run into problems with
>programs that won't run when the Korn shell is used as command interpreter?

Actually, I haven't had this problem much. On the few occasions I do have
it, I use two backslashes (from the shell) as a path separator.

>(By the ways, I think that you'll still have to agree that
>*easy* is probably not the word one would use to describe the level of effort
>needed to install the login. :-)

I think earlier versions of MKS had a bug that made setup difficult. The
version I have, 2.2, has a /etc/inittab file, which make setting up the
login shell not much different from setting up an autoexec.bat. However,
you do have to read the manual :-).

David Tanguay

jans@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (10/28/88)

<...have you not also run into problems with programs that won't run when the
Korn shell is used as command interpreter?...>

Hey, if it won't run under ksh, I don't need it!  I'm a Unix user first, and a
MeSs-DOS user only when I must.  Having similar environments is more important
to me than being able to run every brain-damaged application.  I've not found
*any* commercial programs that don't run under ksh, and I don't need
freeware/shareware/PD stuff so badly that I'll give up my environment.

The biggest problem seems to be applications that make assumptions about memory
use, which is not a problem with ksh, but a problem with *any* command
interpreter used instead of COMMAND.COM.  Why even have pluggable command
interpreters if applications assume otherwise?  I doubt that anything that
flunks the ksh test would run under Windows, etc.

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies -- Experiment Manager Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-383	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::