[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] qvt, an MS-Windows based VT220 emulator v2.6

herb@mtuxo.att.com (01212-H.COHEN) (10/26/88)

I tried to download and run qvt on my AT&T 6300.  The next thing I
knew, the PC wouldn't boot from the c: drive.  All the files in my
home directory were erased!  All the subdirectories and files were
OK but most of the system files in c:/ were gone.  Even Norton
Utilities couldn't recover the data.

Anyone is welcome to tell me wht I did wrong, in which case I
apologize for this posting, but I believe I was following directions
properly.  I'm certainly not going to try it again.

Herb Cohen
...!mtuxo!herb

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (10/28/88)

In article <3191@mtuxo.att.com>, herb@mtuxo.att.com (01212-H.COHEN) writes:

> I tried to download and run qvt on my AT&T 6300.  The next thing I
> knew, the PC wouldn't boot from the c: drive.  All the files in my
> home directory were erased!  All the subdirectories and files were
> OK but most of the system files in c:/ were gone.  Even Norton
> Utilities couldn't recover the data.
>
> Anyone is welcome to tell me wht I did wrong, in which case I
> apologize for this posting, but I believe I was following directions
> properly.  I'm certainly not going to try it again.
>
> Herb Cohen
> ...!mtuxo!herb

I have tested this program for our users here at bsu-cs..
I ran it on an zenith ibm-xt compatable running windows verson 2.03 and
windows version 1.04.

these were my results:

1) the font given was garbage on the 1.04 windows.
2) for windows 2.03, I following the instructions: I replaced vt?.fon with
vtherc.fon.. no font appeared.. so I reloaded vt?.fon..
I had *NO* problems.. found it to be a useful program..

hope this helps somebody to make their decision..
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|-----|
| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/28/88)

I tried out qvt under Windows 386, version 2.1.  No apparent
problems surfaced.  It does do gooffy things when scrolling, unless
you have the window maXimied to full screen.  Ie: it seems to
scroll the bottom line appearing in the window, rather than the
line that is on the bottom of the terminal screen.  Normally this
wouldn't be a problem, unless something happened to type out while
you had qvt shrunken down to do something else.

I suspect that losing the C:\ directory on the AT&T 6300 was a
non-related event.

I did decide to stick with procomm, rather than changing to qvt, as
procomm getts along a little better with vi in the handling of the
arrow keys.

--Bill

UD047203@NDSUVM1.BITNET (10/31/88)

Yes, The font supplied with qvt2.6 are garbage.  I too have window 1.04.
Here was what I did, I copy the font supplied with window as VT220 and it
works.  I hope it will help the one who has the window 1.04.

                                                      Larry

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (11/04/88)

In article <1531UD047203@NDSUVM1> UD047203@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

> Yes, The font supplied with qvt2.6 are garbage.  I too have window 1.04.
> Here was what I did, I copy the font supplied with window as VT220 and it
> works.  I hope it will help the one who has the window 1.04.

I downloaded it, and it works almost fine with Windows 2.0 and an EGA.
The problem I have is that I cannot send an Esc. code.  Anyone have
any ideas as to why?  (I am also using a 102 key keyboard.)
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away