[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] simtel20?

thf@wind.bellcore.com (Theodore Feyler) (11/09/88)

Hi,
	Alot of people talk of getting nifty stuff off simtel20.  Well, I
can't seem to connect with anything resembling simtel20 through my ftp.
I have tried simtel20 & simtel20.army.mil, and both are unknown hosts.  Am
I missing something, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?  Is there even
an annonymous ftp to this site?

thanks in advance,
ted

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (11/10/88)

Your system may still know it as simtel20.arpa.  It certainly used to
accept anonymous ftp's... although the Morris worm may scare a lot of
people out of that behaviour.  (Hmmm, what are the ramifications of an
archive site deciding not to accept anonymous ftp anymore? :-()
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- A Fish Called Wanda

in article <11626@bellcore.bellcore.com>, thf@wind.bellcore.com (Theodore Feyler) says:

> 	Alot of people talk of getting nifty stuff off simtel20.  Well, I
> can't seem to connect with anything resembling simtel20 through my ftp.
> I have tried simtel20 & simtel20.army.mil, and both are unknown hosts.

Try simtel20.arpa, if that isn't in your hosts file. Just do a

open 26.0.0.74

Get the file ARCHIVES-INFO, or some similar name and read it carefully.
There are some strange things about ftp'ing from simtel20 because
it is a 36-bit machine running TOPS-20.

I'd had good luck finding stuff there.

********************************_|-|_********************************
John H. Lawitzke      UUCP: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Michigan Farm Bureau        ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Insurance Group             ...uunet!frith!jhl

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (11/11/88)

SIMTEL20 is still on the DDN.  We've gone through two name changes
recently because of the change to domains.  The official host name is
now WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, with aliases of SIMTEL20.ARPA and
SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  The network address is still 26.0.0.74.
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

waters@dover.uucp (Mike Waters) (11/11/88)

In article <14851@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (RAMontante) writes:
>Your system may still know it as simtel20.arpa.  It certainly used to
>accept anonymous ftp's... although the Morris worm may scare a lot of
>people out of that behaviour.  (Hmmm, what are the ramifications of an
>archive site deciding not to accept anonymous ftp anymore? :-()

Simtel20 was indeed off line most of last week (and weekend) due to the
worm (I assume). I am getting a lot of returned mail from places that
still haven't reconnected.

I have always used arpanet/bitnet to access simtel, I didn't know
they had anonymous UUCP (dial up) access. Anyone have better info?

--
Mike Waters                 (for your EDIFication)
Motorola SMART CAD Group - EDIF (ANSI/EIA std. 548) support