[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] help with simtel20

pa1022@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1022) (10/31/88)

I've been trying to ftp files from simtel20.army.mil, and they all
come out corrupt.  In ARC files, the first few letters of the first
file inside come out ok, and then there's garbage and it says the
file is a few gigabytes long.  It won't get past that.
I found a file on simtel20 describing the difficulty that somebody
had in getting files to his IBM mainframe intact, and it suggested
typing "type i" followed by "type l 8" before transferring the file.
(I was just typing "binary" at first.)  When I do this, the file
ends up less corrupt, and PKUNPAK can read the archive, but all the
files inside the archive are garbage after the first 10 lines or so.
If I 'get' a text file from simtel20, it works fine.
I'm on an AT&T 3B20 running System V Unix, and am using an AT clone
running Telix to talk to that.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Eric Hedstrom       |      This space intentionally left blank
pa1022%iugrad2@ucsd.edu  |           .sig under construction
G.HEDSTROM on GEnie      |             Make pizza, not war

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (10/31/88)

From a Unix host you must use the "tenex" mode to get binary files from
SIMTEL20.
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (11/05/88)

	As I found out last week, all files on Simtel are stored in 36bit
format, and require the TENEX binary transfer format to be set.  So just
type tenex before getting the files, and they should come out ok.  There is
also a program posted to comp.sources.misc (I think) that will translate a
tenex format file to a normal file on unix.

		David Deitch, Computer Connection
		dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.bitnet
		Fido 1:100/22

mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) (11/08/88)

In article <670@sdcc15.UUCP> pa1022@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1022) writes:
>I've been trying to ftp files from simtel20.army.mil, and they all
>come out corrupt.  In ARC files, the first few letters of the first
>file inside come out ok, and then there's garbage and it says the
>file is a few gigabytes long.  It won't get past that.

This is because Simtel20 stores files differently than the rest
of us "normal" machines do.  Something to do with a ninth nybble
or something.  Anyway, there is a program called 8OF9.EXE that will
translate your file into proper MS-DOS form.  I can mail it to you,
or, if there is enough interest, I can post it to the net.

--
"Don't find a fault. | Marc Unangst
Find a remedy."      | UUCP: mju@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us

waters@dover.uucp (Mike Waters) (11/09/88)

In article <323@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu (David Deitch) writes:

>	As I found out last week, all files on Simtel are stored in 36bit
>format, and require the TENEX binary transfer format to be set.  So just
>type tenex before getting the files, and they should come out ok.  There is

And as I ALSO found out "binary" is NOT the same - it does NO
translation at all and tries to stuff 36 bits into 32 with appropriate
results - garbage.

You might look for the "get20" shell script on simtel too, it automates
the whole process and can be run as a background task if you have a big
transfer or even via uux if you are a UUCP site (THATS ambitious but it
does work!)

--
Mike Waters                 (for your EDIFication)
Motorola SMART CAD Group - EDIF (ANSI/EIA std. 548) support

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (11/14/88)

In article <2487@m2-net.UUCP> mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) writes:
>   ... Simtel20 stores files differently than the rest
>of us "normal" machines do.  Something to do with a ninth nybble
>or something.  Anyway, there is a program called 8OF9.EXE that will
>translate your file into proper MS-DOS form.  I can mail it to you,
>or, if there is enough interest, I can post it to the net.

No file conversion is necessary if you use the correct mode in FTP when
you get the files from SIMTEL20.  That mode is called TENEX.  It tells
FTP to transfer binary files from SIMTEL20's 36-bit file system as if
they were 8-bits (like the rest of the "normal" machines, as you say).
--

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (11/14/88)

In article <2487@m2-net.UUCP> mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) writes:
|In article <670@sdcc15.UUCP> pa1022@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1022) writes:
|>I've been trying to ftp files from simtel20.army.mil, and they all
|>come out corrupt.  In ARC files, the first few letters of the first
|>file inside come out ok, and then there's garbage and it says the
|>file is a few gigabytes long.  It won't get past that.
|
|This is because Simtel20 stores files differently than the rest
|of us "normal" machines do.  Something to do with a ninth nybble
|or something.  Anyway, there is a program called 8OF9.EXE that will
|translate your file into proper MS-DOS form.  I can mail it to you,
|or, if there is enough interest, I can post it to the net.

Or, if you say "Type Tenex" or "Type L 8" when you're doing the ftp'ing,
it'll do the conversion as you transfer.  It has to do with the fact that
Simtel20 has 36 bit words.

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     | "Ain't got no cash,