[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] bugs

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (11/09/88)

In article <36085@clyde.ATT.COM> rcj@moss.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>In article <4648@bsu-cs.UUCP> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>}Bug report:...

In the interest of accuracy, I wanted to point out that comments within
square brackets, usually with "-- R.D." at the end, are from the
moderator and not from the person sending the program.

While we are on the subject, here's something that I wonder about.

If I find some shortcomings (ahem) in a submission, which of the
following two alternatives is better?

-- posting it and simply documenting bugs that I find

-- or not posting it and sending feedback to the author and waiting for
him to either fix it or ask me to go ahead and post anyway

In the first case, I risk offending the author (e.g. "Why didn't you
tell me instead of slandering me all over the net?") and possibly the
user. In the second case I risk offending the author again, make more
work for me, delay postings, and have the public scream "censorship!"
to boot.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (11/10/88)

In article <4670@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>If I find some shortcomings (ahem) in a submission, which of the
>following two alternatives is better?
>
>-- posting it and simply documenting bugs that I find
>
>-- or not posting it and sending feedback to the author and waiting for
>him to either fix it or ask me to go ahead and post anyway....
>In the second case I risk offending the author again, ... delay postings,....

I'd vote for the second, in spite of the added effort (easy for ME to
say - it's YOUR effort).  It feels more courteous to give the author the
chance to select the first option.

On a somewhat related subject, is there a permanent repository of names
(perhaps with lengths, dates, crc's and other identifying
characteristics) of programs that are KNOWN to be either viruses or
trojan horses or otherwise contaminated?  After last week's
"conciousness raising" I think such a "history list of dangerous code"
could be of value.  I doubt that it would generate an undesirable
challenge for somebody to get listed in "the top 10" out of some sick
desire for notoriety.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@spenser.ll.mit.edu]
  The Malpass Principle:  Given a binary choice, the statistical

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (11/11/88)

In article <4670@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>If I find some shortcomings (ahem) in a submission, which of the
>following two alternatives is better?
>
>-- posting it and simply documenting bugs that I find
>
>-- or not posting it and sending feedback to the author and waiting for
>him to either fix it or ask me to go ahead and post anyway

My vote is for:
	a) requesting information from the author on small packages.
	   (If I were the author, I would want to know that something
	   was wrong with my small(>20K) utility.)
	b) sending out bug reports on (>20K) medium to large packages.

Frotz

rcj@moss.ATT.COM (11/15/88)

}
}-- posting it and simply documenting bugs that I find
}
}-- or not posting it and sending feedback to the author and waiting for
}him to either fix it or ask me to go ahead and post anyway

My vote -- send it back.  Buggy programs can cause serious damage;
usually in the form of data loss.  They can also waste thousands of
dollars in phone charges to people downloading useless software.

Just because something is free doesn't mean its most basic functions
shouldn't be tested.  Rahul, if you can find bugs in just a cursory
examination/run of a program, it obviously has not been tested well
enough to inflict on the world.

Curtis Jackson	-- att!moss!rcj  201-386-6409
"The cardinal rule of skydiving and ripcords:  When in doubt, whip it out!"