[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] pcplus test drive

pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) (11/19/88)

I noticed that the recently posted "Procomm Test Drive" keeps track of how
many times it was executed.  My question is: WHY?  Does the program destroy
itself after "X" number of times??

Paul Kopp

---------------------------
Paul Kopp                                   The opinions (if any) expressed
Gould Inc., Computer Systems Division       are my own.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Mail paths?, oh yea mail paths:   ...!{sun,uunet,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!pkopp
                                  ...!{ihnp4!codas,allegra}!novavax!gould!pkopp

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (11/19/88)

In article <1467@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:
>I noticed that the recently posted "Procomm Test Drive" keeps track of how
>many times it was executed.  My question is: WHY?  Does the program destroy
>itself after "X" number of times??

I noticed that when I tested it.  It increments a number in one of the
configuration files each time you run it.  When that number reaches
some high value like 65535, it gets incremented with wrap-around back
to 0, and then Procomm proudly declares, "used 0 times".  It's just
laying a guilt trip on you.

I forgot to mention this in the description.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

rohn@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (David C Rohn) (11/19/88)

In article <1467@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:

>I noticed that the recently posted "Procomm Test Drive" keeps track of how
>many times it was executed.  My question is: WHY?  Does the program destroy
>itself after "X" number of times??

PCPlus Test Drive uses a byte in the configuration file to record the
number of uses.  In real PCPlus, this byte is zero.  Real PCPlus does not
mind using a PCPlus TD config file.  I don't know what happens down the
road, after someone uses it 256 times, let us know.

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (11/22/88)

Paul Kopp writes:

>I noticed that the recently posted "Procomm Test Drive" keeps track of how
>many times it was executed.  My question is: WHY?  Does the program destroy
>itself after "X" number of times??

Procomm 2.4.2 keeps track of the number of times you use it and stops
displaying the registration solicitation screen after some number of
uses.  I suspect that is what this version is doing.

John Hardin
hardin%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

agollum@engr.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (11/22/88)

>I noticed that the recently posted "Procomm Test Drive" keeps track of how
>many times it was executed.  My question is: WHY?  Does the program destroy
>itself after "X" number of times??

The older shareware versions of Procomm recorded the number of times the
program was started.  The first several times it was run, it would
display the shareware advertisement before going to the terminal screen;
then the program stopped displaying it and went straight to the terminal
screen.  I suspect the test drive program is doing the same thing;
do you remember seeing a shareware advert the first x times you ran
the program?

Kenneth Herron