[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] roff

elk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Edwin L. King) (11/15/88)

Does anyone have or know where I can find a version of ?roff (nroff, eroff,
troff, et. al) for the PC?  Executable would be fine, as would C source
(I can port it if necessary).
THanks!

--
 Ed King           He may act a little erratic.  Regeneration
                     scrambles the brain cells a bit.

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (11/16/88)

In article <2133@cbnews.ATT.COM> elk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Edwin L. King) writes:
>Does anyone have or know where I can find a version of ?roff (nroff, eroff,
>troff, et. al) for the PC?  Executable would be fine, as would C source

Some years ago, someone posted the source to ROFF (the predecessor of
nroff & troff).  If I recall correctly, it was Col. Sicherman, then of
Georgia Tech (anyone remember if I got this right?)
I ported it to the PC, and added font control and a simple printcap of sorts.

ROFF is almost a subset of nroff.  The major limitations are:
   -	No number registers, strings, diversions, or traps.
   -	Macros don't take arguments.
   -	No font control (my PCROFF has fixed that).
Obviously, it can't handle the MM or MS macros with these limitations,
but it's a nice, simple, fairly fast formatter.  I find it useful,
as do my kids.

I can Email it (or post, if there's enough demand).
The uuencoded arc is just about 62K, so I may have to split it.

Respond by Email if you're interested; I'll decide
whether to respond or post in a week or two.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (11/16/88)

From article <2133@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by elk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Edwin L. King):
> Does anyone have or know where I can find a version of ?roff (nroff, eroff,
> troff, et. al) for the PC?

NROFF/PC is $99 from Elan Computer Group, 415-322-2450.  Includes TBL,
NEQN, CHECKMM, MM, and MAN Macros also.
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/22/88)

In article <378@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <2133@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by elk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Edwin L. King):
>> Does anyone have or know where I can find a version of ?roff (nroff, eroff,
>> troff, et. al) for the PC?
>
>NROFF/PC is $99 from Elan Computer Group, 415-322-2450.  Includes TBL,
>NEQN, CHECKMM, MM, and MAN Macros also.

...and since you have access to and adequate descriptions of the
printer-driver files you can adapt it to lots of printers.

	But it doesn't do Postscript.  Unfortunately.

(And no MS macros, either, but they're a thing of the past. Except
here at TekLabs, where we managed to standardize on them somehow...)
(But now everybody's using a PC-based wordprocessor, so who cares,
anyway?!)

keith (ramble, grumble, where's my coffee?) ericson

pso@tut.fi (Petri Solanti) (11/23/88)

In article <4277@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> In article <378@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
> >From article <2133@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by elk@cbnews.ATT.COM (Edwin L. King):
> >> Does anyone have or know where I can find a version of ?roff (nroff, eroff,
> >> troff, et. al) for the PC?
> >
> >NROFF/PC is $99 from Elan Computer Group, 415-322-2450.  Includes TBL,
> >NEQN, CHECKMM, MM, and MAN Macros also.

I've thought this is an uncommercial discussion arena, but I don't mind.
It's nice to know email-addresses of some people who are working in certain
companies and who bother to answer their mail. Thanks Ken!

> ...and since you have access to and adequate descriptions of the
> printer-driver files you can adapt it to lots of printers.
>
> 	But it doesn't do Postscript.  Unfortunately.
>
> (And no MS macros, either, but they're a thing of the past. Except
> here at TekLabs, where we managed to standardize on them somehow...)
> (But now everybody's using a PC-based wordprocessor, so who cares,
> anyway?!)

Elan Computer group supports also EROFF, which is a superset of ditroff
and it produces postscript ( important for us because it is our standard :-).

We use mostly MS macros and we have had no problems using them with EROFF
EXCEPT in pc environment. Yes, we have ported MS macros into pc ( they are
no more under licence ) but it was not very easy, while manuals said
completely nothing about file structures, paths etc of external macro
packages. Otherwice we have found Eroff very useful with its graphic
features.

But KEN ..... When do we get a proper support for scandinavian characters ????

          Petri Solanti          Tampere University of Technology
UUCP:     pso@tut.UUCP           Signal Processing Laboratory
Internet: pso@tut.fi             PO box 527
Tel:      358-(9)31-162 577      SF-33101 Tampere, Finland