[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Pitiful request for help with SIMTEL20

lhb6v@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Laura H. Burchard) (11/19/88)

I've been trying for about a week now to get files from SIMTEL20.
I'm ftping them from SIMTEL to a System V LAN, and then across
a dialup to my PC at home. My modem software is Procomm, and I use
the Kermit protocol.

I use the tenex protocol while ftping, and the files duly arrive on the
LAN. But I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THEM! Every time I try, I get 'bad packet', then
'packet resent', endlessly. The file is named pk361.exe, so it doesn't
appear to be compressed. What's wrong? I've tried with both ascii and
binary, and neither works.

Also, what are you supposed to do with '.shar' files? sh'ing them
doesn't work, at least with the one I was trying (ARC-SYSV.SHAR1{2}{3}.)
Are you supposed to join the 3 parts before you sh it?

I'm sure this is all really simple stuff, but I'm getting frustrated
nearly to tears...

Laura

Laura Burchard
lhb6v@virginia.edu
Other pathways too, I just haven't figured them out yet.
Cute little quote under construction.

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (11/20/88)

In fact, could someone post a *brief* intro to the relative novice about
the black art of FTP, etc?

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

orr@taux02.UUCP (Orr Michael ) (12/01/88)

In article <1590@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>In fact, could someone post a *brief* intro to the relative novice about
>the black art of FTP, etc?
	Hear! Hear!

	I also would benefiet A LOT from such an explanation.
(also,  could someone tell me what alternatives exist for folks whose
 machine is NOT directly linked to the Archive machine ? Is there
 any way around the inability of ftp to connect to non-adjacent sites ?)

--
orr@nsc			  	      IBM's motto: Machines should work,
{amdahl,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,sun}!nsc!orr         People should think.