[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Query: Commando

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (11/30/88)

We have one command line editor coming over the net now (ANARKEY), and I
saw parts of a discussion of another one (COMMNDO).  Was Commando ever
distributed?  It sounded interesting, and I'd like to compare it to
ANARKEY (when that is all here).

--
Frank Burleigh USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh 812/335-4127
Department of Sociology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (11/30/88)

In article <2746@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) writes:
>We have one command line editor coming over the net now (ANARKEY), and I
>saw parts of a discussion of another one (COMMNDO).  Was Commando ever
>distributed?  It sounded interesting, and I'd like to compare it to
>ANARKEY (when that is all here).

I have a beta copy of commando and right now, it's a lot better than
anarkey. Also the author has promised modifications that address all
of my (minor) gripes.

I have switched to COMMANDO because it has more features than FILEC,
CED, and UNCLE combined, and fits in about 15K.

What is holding up Commando? If it doesn't get posted soon I'll email
it to anyone who's interested.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                     #include <disclaimer.h>

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (12/01/88)

In article <44386@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>I have a beta copy of commando and right now, it's a lot better than
>anarkey. Also the author has promised modifications that address all
>of my (minor) gripes.
>
>I have switched to COMMANDO because it has more features than FILEC,
>CED, and UNCLE combined, and fits in about 15K.

I have been using HISTORY, which Russ Nelson has been taking care of.
ANARCHY appears a little better, and is slightly smaller in memory.
FILEC, with all due respects, was a problem; it interfered with LIM 4 on
my 386.  HISTORY incorporated file name completion anyway.

I look forward to COMMANDO, though 15k is rather large for this
function.

--

grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) (12/01/88)

In article <2752@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.UUCP (frank burleigh) writes:
>I have been using HISTORY, which Russ Nelson has been taking care of.
>ANARCHY appears a little better, and is slightly smaller in memory.
>FILEC, with all due respects, was a problem; it interfered with LIM 4 on
>my 386.  HISTORY incorporated file name completion anyway.

Not to mention that HISTORY was distributed with SOURCE which has allowed me
to hack away to my heart's content (adding an internal cd function which
does things the way I want them, adding primitive command synonyms, interpreting
'/' as '\' and vice versa, translating "." into the current directory so some
of my favorite programs will now "properly" read the command line and some
miscellaneous performance speedups).

How about it, ANARKEY and COMMANDO authors; will you be distributing source
so I can do things MY way?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) (12/01/88)

In article <946@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) writes:
 *In article <2752@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.UUCP (frank burleigh) writes:
 *>I have been using HISTORY, which Russ Nelson has been taking care of.
 *>ANARCHY appears a little better, and is slightly smaller in memory.
 *>FILEC, with all due respects, was a problem; it interfered with LIM 4 on
 *>my 386.  HISTORY incorporated file name completion anyway.
 *
 *Not to mention that HISTORY was distributed with SOURCE which has allowed me
 *to hack away to my heart's content ...[deleted]

OOOH!  What is the source in?  Where can I get ahold of HISTORY???

--Cindy

--
 So many worlds, so much to do,     | ARPA:   tittle@ics.uci.edu
 So little done, such things to be  | BITNET: cltittle@uci.bitnet

teresam@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Teresa D McKittrick) (12/01/88)

Can someone please post the source code of HISTORY? I'd like to
have a copy of it as well.

In article <1022@paris.ics.uci.edu> Cindy Tittle <tittle@alexandre-dumas.ics.uci.edu> writes:
>In article <946@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) writes:
> *In article <2752@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.UUCP (frank burleigh) writes:
> *>I have been using HISTORY, which Russ Nelson has been taking care of.
> *>ANARCHY appears a little better, and is slightly smaller in memory.
> *>FILEC, with all due respects, was a problem; it interfered with LIM 4 on
> *>my 386.  HISTORY incorporated file name completion anyway.
> *
> *Not to mention that HISTORY was distributed with SOURCE which has allowed me
> *to hack away to my heart's content ...[deleted]
>
>OOOH!  What is the source in?  Where can I get ahold of HISTORY???

Actually, I have found a number of problems with ANARKEY.

1. It seems to force the cursor to the blinking underline, depsite any
resetting I may do with a cursor-setting program.

2. File name completion is a little flakey.  Try cycling through
ANARKEY.SUM, ANARKEY.DOC and then to ANARKEY.COM.  You can't get to the
last name for some reason.

3. Using Mirror II (comm program), putting Mirror in the backgroud,
doing something with ANARKEY, and going back to the comm screen: system
doesn't accept any keystroke and must be cold started.  This is prob. an
interaction between Mirror's background and ANARKEY.  Nonetheless, it is
bad and HISTORY doesn't show the problem.

Back to HISTORY for me.