[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Unix Kermit and 8-bit transfers

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (12/04/88)

Kermit on Unix can do 8-bit binary transfers without having to use
quoting.  The trick is to log in using 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
Put this in your .kermrc file in your home directory:

set file type binary
set block 3
set parity none

The "set block 3" command tells it to use the 3-byte CRC checking.  Make
sure you have your MS-Kermit set that way too.

Tell me why anyone would want to use Kermit on Unix when Zmodem (rz/sz
on the Unix end and DSZ on the PC end) is so much faster and provides
the ability to continue where you left off in an aborted download.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (12/04/88)

In article <9053@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@brl.arpa (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Kermit on Unix can do 8-bit binary transfers without having to use
>quoting.  The trick is to log in using 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

   While this is excellent advice, it isn't always possible to carry
out. I know of at least two universities (including this one... :-( )
where the dialups are 7E1. Either you use quoting or you uuencode.
   BTW, is there any purpose (other than being obnoxious) to using 7E1
rather than 8N1?

! James W. Birdsall               Compu$erve: 71261,1731               !
! jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@bogey.Princeton.EDU         !
! jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET            ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa!
!  During emergency landing, replace dinner tray and bring seat to     !
!  upright position. Extinuish all smoking materials... including      !
!  spacecraft, if possible.  --Calvin                                  !

boettche@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Michael Boettcher) (12/04/88)

In article <9053@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@brl.arpa (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Kermit on Unix can do 8-bit binary transfers without having to use
>quoting.  The trick is to log in using 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
>Put this in your .kermrc file in your home directory:
>
>Tell me why anyone would want to use Kermit on Unix when Zmodem (rz/sz
>on the Unix end and DSZ on the PC end) is so much faster and provides
>the ability to continue where you left off in an aborted download.
>
>--
>Keith Petersen

Probably the main reason is that kermit is already on the Unix system,
and many telecom programs for the PC also support it.

I would love to use Zmodem, but how do I get it for the system,
install it, and make sure that the admin. operator doesn't get
perturbed  with me?

Granted, Kermit is not the easiest to use, but its better than nothing
for a low time user of a mainframe.

Michael Boettcher                 boettche@puff.cs.wisc.edu
Student, Univ. of Wisconsin       107 N. Randall Apt. I
Applied Math, Engr. and Physics   Madison, WI 53715

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (12/05/88)

In article <9053@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@brl.arpa (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Tell me why anyone would want to use Kermit on Unix when Zmodem (rz/sz
>on the Unix end and DSZ on the PC end) is so much faster and provides
>the ability to continue where you left off in an aborted download.

Well, the reason _I_ use kermit on Unix is that at our site, the
dial-in lines are connected to aegean.nprdc.arpa, while my VAX account
is on pacific.nprdc.arpa (where I ftp to SIMTEL20 from), and I read
netnews and save postings on our Sun network from skinner.nprdc.arpa,
and our network won't let us change the comm parameters on the modem
from any machine other than aegean, and having to move all the files
to be down- or up-loaded to /usr/tmp on aegean from whichever machine
they're on, as well as moving the comm program, then deleting the files
after the transfer is complete is a little too much of a pain in the
ass to do every time I want to transfer files to or from my home
system.

Where time permits, I generally use 'Walknet' to transfer files to or
from my home system to work: Floppies carried between home and work,
with the files rcp'd to the Sun network from pacific, then copied to
the floppies on one of the Zenith machines using PC-NFS with the Suns.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with 800K archives and the 360K
floppies I use, so I still have to rely on kermit for some things.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa