[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] simtel's archives

tittle@glacier.ics.uci.edu (12/05/88)

OK, I just tried hopping over to simtel to take a look at their archives.
However, I am somewhat stumped as to how I can get to the directories of
interest.

When I'm logged in, I can list out a number of help files and directory
listing files, but that's it.  When I looked at simtel20-msdos.dirlist.8,
I got:

"Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories
 as of November 28, 1988 (where 'x' is one of the names below):
 ..."

But I couldn't get to any of the directories!
   cd pd1:msdos.database
   pd1
   cd msdos.database
   ...etc
--all failed.

I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I don't know what.  I
have ftp'd to many different sites, but this is a new one to me.

Can someone please e-mail to me how I can get to the directories of
interest on simtel???  Some of the stuff listed looked pretty interesting!!

Thanks in advance,
--Cindy
--
 So many worlds, so much to do,     | ARPA:   tittle@ics.uci.edu
 So little done, such things to be  | BITNET: cltittle@uci.bitnet

evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) (12/05/88)

Re: Changing Directories on SIMTEL20 through ftp

    SIMTEL20 runs a weird VMS-type operating system called Tops-20, in
which case and funny angle brackets in file and directory names are all
significant.  To change to a directory, it is sufficient to include all
such characters exactly as they are given, e.g.

	cd PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE> ,

not just

	cd pd1:msdos.database .

Also, to successfully get a .ARC, .LBR, or other binary file, you must be
in tenex mode.  (Enter 'tenex' at the ftp> prompt.  After a few seconds,
you should get the response 'Type L 8 ok.'.)  To get an ascii file, you
must be in ascii mode.  (Enter 'ascii'.)

Happy hunting!

--erw;
evan@blake.acs.washington.edu

doug@hokulea.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) (12/06/88)

You might try downloading the .crclst files from the main diectories.
These files contain a complete up to date directory list of the sub-
directories (eg in msdos, unix-c, misc, etc.)  The files are in ascii
so make sure you have the ascii mode set and not the tenex (for binary).

Here is a list of some of the file to download:

pd1:<msdos>msdos.crclst
pd2:<unix-c>unix-c.crclst
pd1:<misc>misc.crclst
pd1:<pc-blue>pc-blue.crclst

Here is what you'll see (a very short piece of msdos.crclst) :

> Listing created Wednesday, November 9, 1988 02:42:00
>
> 	Filename		Type	 Bytes	 CRC
>
> PD1:<MSDOS.APL>
> 	SAPLPC-A.ARC.1		BINARY	213685  4E1FH
>	SAPLPC-B.ARC.1		BINARY	231025  B654H
>
> PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
> 	ADIR103.ARC.1		BINARY	  9088  2DE2H
>	ADIR140.ARC.1		BINARY	 11136  90A9H

Have fun...

Douglas Myhre   <doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu>
Hawaii Institute of Geophysics
2525 Correa Rd.
Honolulu, HI 96822

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) (12/07/88)

In article <351@blake.acs.washington.edu> evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) writes:
:	cd PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE> ,
:
:Also, to successfully get a .ARC, .LBR, or other binary file, you must be
:in tenex mode.  (Enter 'tenex' at the ftp> prompt.  After a few seconds,

Arrgh!  You mean I have to be in Tenex mode and not binary?  (I
just downloaded all those files, too....., and haven't hauled
them to a PC where I can unarc them.)
		Thanks
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs