[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Alt key and modem protocol

rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (12/06/88)

I Find this talk of procomm and all interesting.
I plan to switch to Zmodem (I use Xtalk)  very soon.

MY BIG QUESTION IS:::   What terminal emulator will allow me to
use the Alt key. I use emacs as much as possible but I haven't
found out yet how to use the Alt keys on my AT clone at home.

Will any of these animals (Zmodem Ymodem Xtalk Procomm ...)
allow me to use the alt keys and emulat some terminal unix knows
about??

Thanks!
Brynn Rogers rogers@src.honeywell.com
	     !UUCP!srcsip!rogers   <<-- rough guess I doubt it work

P.S.  I hate Kermit.    (Just My Opinion)

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/07/88)

In article <12941@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@orion.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>MY BIG QUESTION IS:::   What terminal emulator will allow me to
>use the Alt key. I use emacs as much as possible but I haven't
>found out yet how to use the Alt keys on my AT clone at home.

MS-Kermit 2.31 -- I have written a script for kermit that sets it up
so that "ALT" behaves like "META" in Emacs. It's neat. I'll email it
to anyone on request. It also binds all the other keys like the cursors
etc. to do reasonable things.

>P.S.  I hate Kermit.    (Just My Opinion)

Oh well. Can't help you.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
        |                                            #include <disclaimer.h>
| | | | | | | | |
\ \ \ \_|_/ / / /
  \_\_\_|_/_/_/

        |  happy hannuka!
       _|_

leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (12/12/88)

Procomm, Telix and a lot of other communicationprograms experience a
clash of keys when you use them in a Unix-environment because they
need them for the dialing directory, redialing, host mode, ...

The only communicationprogram I know of that let you use most of the
Alt combinations is AT100 (a vt100 emulationprogram for the IBM PC and
compatibles by AmbraSoft) but AT100 on the other hand don't have a
dialing directory or anything like it! There shouldn't be any problems
using an external Zmodem program (like DSZ) with AT100.

   Leif Andrew Rump, Ambrasoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
 UUCP: leif@ambone.dk, phone: +45 2424 111, touch phone: +45 422 817 + 313
 BBS1: ABC BBS:     +45 68 00 544,    3/12, 24h, 2:505/38 (ABC Sysop)
 BBS2: PC-Club BBS: +45 68 0270,   3/12/24, 24h, 2:505/54 (PC-Club Sysop)

Please note the node-change:                    Ambone, Italian for a pulpit
(The following interpretations emerged          Am_bone, Ambrasoft A/S bone
 when Ambone was put down on paper and          Amb_one, Ambrasoft A/S #one
 accepted - they are solely mine!!!!!)          ...