[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] uncompress for MS-DOS

evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) (12/06/88)

Is there a public domain version of the unix uncompress utility that runs
under MS-DOS?  I have a large number of .Z files trapped on a unix machine
that I'd like to download in the smaller .Z form, so as not to exceed my
account's disk quota or my telephone time.

I'd look on SIMTEL20, but it's been refusing ftp since yesterday evening.

And while I'm at it, how about a version of patch for MS-DOS?  That way I
could do everything on my XT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--erw;
evan@blake.acs.washington.edu

W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/06/88)

You will find compress/uncompress for MSDOS on SIMTEL20.  Two versions:

Filename			Type	 Bytes

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
COMPRS12.ARC			BINARY	 44288  <-- 12-bit
COMPRS16.ARC			BINARY	 47101  <-- 16-bit

The 16-bit version requires about 500K of memory to run so you will
have to boot up your PC without any TSRs in order to run it.  It does
work, I tested it.

Simtel20 has a limited number of net ports available for FTP jobs.
Lately we've seen very heavy FTP usage.  When insufficient net posts
are available you will get a message that says the FTP connection was
refused.  It's possible that your host's FTP may display "Service
Unavailable" when that happens.

Just keep trying, as you would for a busy phone number.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]
DDN: W8SDZ@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) (12/06/88)

	I tried the compress programs from simtel20, and from several
other places and I have found the same results.  Compress fro the PC is ONLY
for TEXT files!  Everytime I compress a file on my PC with any of these
it stops at the same place a file listing would stop if you executed a
type command on the binary file.
	So has anyone modified the code since my last try?  I would imagine
all it would take is to treat all files as a binary file.

--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

nanook@novavax.UUCP (Keith Dickinson) (12/07/88)

in article <356@blake.acs.washington.edu>, evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) says:

> Is there a public domain version of the unix uncompress utility that runs
> under MS-DOS?  I have a large number of .Z files trapped on a unix machine
> that I'd like to download in the smaller .Z form, so as not to exceed my
> account's disk quota or my telephone time.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --erw;
> evan@blake.acs.washington.edu

Evan,
  I have a program called CUB. It was written by pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us. If you
wish a copy of the software I can send it to you. There are 2 different
programs involved. One of them is for 12 bit the other for 16.

  If you want them, leme know and I'll uuencode the archive and mail it to
you.

Keith Dickinson
------
_   /|  | Fidonet  : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave Mew World South
\'o.O'  | Internet : nanook@muadib.FIDONET.ORG
=(___)= | UUCP     : (novavax,hoptoad!ankh)!muadib!nanook | nanook@novavax
   U    | USNail   : 433 SE 13th CT. J-202, Deerfield Beach, Fl. 33441
  Ack!  | Disclamer: This message was created by a faulty AI program.
Don't blame me...I voted for Bill'n'Opus in '88

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (12/08/88)

In article <47@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
>other places and I have found the same results.  Compress fro the PC is ONLY
>for TEXT files!  Everytime I compress a file on my PC with any of these
>it stops at the same place a file listing would stop if you executed a
>type command on the binary file.

PC compress can be used on binaries. There is an option to do it (don't
remember exactly what it is, -e maybe? Look in the docs). However, you
have to remember to uncompress with the same option. In general, it
isn't worth it and binaries don't usually compress much anyway.

! James W. Birdsall               Compu$erve:  71261,1731              !
! jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@bogey.Princeton.EDU         !
! jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET            ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa!
!  During emergency landing, replace dinner tray and bring seat to     !
!  upright position. Extinuish all smoking materials... including      !
!  spacecraft, if possible.  --Calvin                                  !

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (12/13/88)

In article <> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
>	I tried the compress programs from simtel20, and from several
>other places and I have found the same results.  Compress fro the PC is ONLY
>for TEXT files!  Everytime I compress a file on my PC with any of these
>it stops at the same place a file listing would stop if you executed a
>type command on the binary file.

Add statements like

#include <fcntl.h>
	setmode(fileno(stdin), O_BINARY);
	setmode(fileno(stdout), O_BINARY);

at appropriate places in the code.  Put them inside a #ifdef MSDOS.
This works using MSC.