[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Plea to software authors

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/14/88)

I am facing a dilemma as moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  (Long
message follows -- please read patiently.)

It is generally agreed that Usenet is a noncommercial network and its
use for direct commercial gain is frowned upon and, in the case of
Internet sites, is probably illegal.

Some software may be freely distributed, but requires a fee for
continued use beyond a trial period.  It's hard for me to decide what
to do with such software when it is sent to me for posting to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

I really don't like being in the position of having to reject a
submission because it is too commercial.  As moderator I get any
authority I have solely because Usenet users allow me to have it.  But
Usenet users are a diverse lot and I can't please all of them at the
same time.

If you, the software author, will cooperate, I think I have a
solution.  Use any reasonable license statement.  I see nothing wrong
with your expecting to be compensated for your efforts.

But if you require a registration fee, then please consider including a
special clause like this one:

     In keeping with the noncommercial, cooperative nature of the
     Usenet network, the registration fee for this software is not
     mandatory for those who obtain it directly from a Usenet site and
     make only personal, noncommercial use of it.

Usenet users will appreciate your recognizing the special nature of
this network.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (12/18/88)

In article <5138@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>... if you require a registration fee, then please consider including a
>special clause like this one:
>
>     In keeping with the noncommercial, cooperative nature of the
>     Usenet network, the registration fee for this software is not
>     mandatory for those who obtain it directly from a Usenet site and
>     make only personal, noncommercial use of it.

Hey, I like that idea, Rahul!  I have tucked this away for future use.

Brian.
--
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!attcan, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |