[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] DGTerm memory resident VT100 emulator

spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/14/88)

This memory-resident terminal emulator doesn't work well enough to use
emacs, so I'm giving up on it. Rats, it looked nifty.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

dhaile@pyramid.pyramid.com (David Haile) (12/16/88)

> Rats, it looked nifty.

	I've found it to work plenty well enough for my needs.  When
	I want to download, I call up dgterm and do it with xmodem
	in the background, otherwise I use procomm for everything
	else.  It does have a couple of problems; Ymodem batch
	downloads to thin air, leaves null-length file in its place;
	no features, would like macros and scripts, would like to
	remap the Alt-X abort key to something else or have it ask
	(y/n).  It's not quite an emulator-to-beat-all-emulators, but
	it does what it is designed to do.

|\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\  David W. Haile, MACA                      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/|
|---------------> United States Department of Agriculture  <-----------------|
|/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/  3825 Mulberry St, Ft. Collins, CO 80524   \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass) (12/18/88)

In article <45624@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>This memory-resident terminal emulator doesn't work well enough to use
>emacs, so I'm giving up on it. Rats, it looked nifty.

Hmmm.  I though my emulation was pretty good.  If anyone can tell me the
specifics of how DGTERM misbehaves, I'll fix it.  I don't have much time to
work on it, but fixing the emulation should be a breeze...

-dale

{uunet|watmath|utai}!dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (12/19/88)

   It works... sort of, most of the time, maybe. I have encountered the
following problems:
   1) the arrow keys don't work when I'm logged into a CMS account. Nor
is there a backspace key! This is very annoying. It renders the program
almost useless for calling in to CMS accounts. And yes, I've tried the
NumLock key.
   2) Being a background type program, it makes certain assumptions
about what the foreground program is doing. So sometimes I pull it up
and discover that my foreground program has mutilated it. This I can
live with, though.
   3) THE BIG PROBLEM: it suffers from the usual problem associated with
xmodem on PCs: it doesn't strip the padding characters from the end! I
wrote a quick program to do so, and then I discovered that it doesn't
always screw up the end in the same way! Most of the files were padded
with char Ox1A. However, one file seemed to have been padded with Ox00
and another with repeated variations on   ...N81N...1200 ...
which were the parameters I was using to call in! What's going on here?

   In summary, this program could potentially be very useful. I like the
fact that it doesn't appreciably slow most foreground applications. But
if I can't trust it to download properly, it's going to have to go. Am I
doing something wrong? Are these bugs easily fixable?

! James W. Birdsall               Compu$erve:  71261,1731              !
! jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@bogey.Princeton.EDU         !
! jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET            ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa!
!  During emergency landing, replace dinner tray and bring seat to     !
!  upright position. Extinuish all smoking materials... including      !
!  spacecraft, if possible.  --Calvin                                  !