[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] getting downloaded stuff to work.

rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (12/20/88)

I Have been having some trouble getting most things I download to work.

This is what I do:
   when I am reading news (rn) I save the files that are interesting
   later I use PC-NFS to copy all the stuff from SUNs down to a PC.
   I copy it to my harddrive on my home system (AT clone)
   I use UNIX2DOS to get the end-of-lines fixed.
   I edit the news header out (everything before the part01/02 or begin line)
   I use uudecode to turn it into a something.arc file. (no errors reported)
	 (I use a uudecode I got off of the simtel20, I don't know which)
   I use PKARC to turn it into real files.   (this is what gives me a problem)

for example when I use pkarc on the EGATREK.ARC it works fine for the first
couple files and then it hits the .EXE file and I wait a while and have to reboot
  other files work untill it sees a .EXE and then it tells me that
  whatever.ARC is not an archive.

  The only files I have successfully transfered useing this method are
  CLUTTER.ARC (which has no .EXE)
  COMMANDO.ARC (has an .EXE but it is very short)

 I have also downloaded 30+ Meg from the simtel20 using this
 technique (Except I don't have to uudecode or unix2dos)
 and haven't had anyproblem with PKARC.

If anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

'Seek out new life and civilizations'	| Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC
					| Internet: rogers@src.honeywell.com
       "Honey, come see what I   	| UUCP: rogers@srcsip.uucp
        found in the refrigerator!"	| !: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyb}!srcsip!rogers

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (12/22/88)

In article <13740@srcsip.UUCP>, rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) writes:

> I Have been having some trouble getting most things I download to work.
>
> This is what I do:
>    when I am reading news (rn) I save the files that are interesting
>    later I use PC-NFS to copy all the stuff from SUNs down to a PC.
>    I copy it to my harddrive on my home system (AT clone)
>    I use UNIX2DOS to get the end-of-lines fixed.
>    I edit the news header out (everything before the part01/02 or begin line)
>    I use uudecode to turn it into a something.arc file. (no errors reported)
> 	 (I use a uudecode I got off of the simtel20, I don't know which)
>    I use PKARC to turn it into real files.   (this is what gives me a problem)

The process I use (and have never had any trouble with (except for those
few programs which are in trouble before I get my greasy hands on them))
is:

1) Save the stuff on the (Sun,Apollo,HP,DEC,IBM, whatever you're using)

2) edit header

3) combine & uudecode to get the *.arc file

4) At this point I use:
   a: PC/NFS to get it off the (whatever) system - or -
   b: download via kermit in binary mode - or -
   c: grab it via one of our PC emulators on the (whatever) systems

That way I never have to fuss with the CR/LF mapping (even though kermit
will handle that for me - as will uupc) and I just have the compressed
binary to put on my PC at home.

Hope this helps (and saves you some time).
--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.