[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] software other than utilities

abcscagz@csuna.UUCP (stepanek/cs assoc) (12/27/88)

Much as I do appreciate the decision to moderate comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
I did rather like the time when it was a free forum for one reason:
   ANY software could appear there -- not just software that had been
approved by the moderator.  The current generation seems to believe that
the IBM binaries newsgroup should carry ONLY utilities, programming tools,
et cetera, and not such niceties as Nethack, Moria, and maybe an occasional
Star Trek game that one of us writes in Turbo Pascal version 4.0.

Now come on, what is life without a new Star Trek game every few weeks?

--
Jeff Boeing:  ...!csun.edu!csuna!abcscagz    (formerly tracer@stb.UUCP)
"What is sex, Jameskirk?"  -- Blond bimbo #43 from Delta Cygni

rickc@agora.UUCP (Rick Coates) (12/30/88)

From article <1470@csuna.UUCP>, by abcscagz@csuna.UUCP (stepanek/cs assoc):

> Much as I do appreciate the decision to moderate comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
> I did rather like the time when it was a free forum for one reason:
>    ANY software could appear there -- not just software that had been
> approved by the moderator.  The current generation seems to believe that
> the IBM binaries newsgroup should carry ONLY utilities, programming tools,
> et cetera, and not such niceties as Nethack, Moria, and maybe an occasional
> Star Trek game that one of us writes in Turbo Pascal version 4.0.
>
> Now come on, what is life without a new Star Trek game every few weeks?

Don't blame RD - I doubt he is filtering out fun stuff (except, hopefully,
'demo' packages).  He can only pass on what he gets.

I will soon send him a program to calculate the position of the planets -
does that count as a non-utility?

Solstice Greetings to all!

Rick Coates

tektronix!reed!percival!agora!rickc
OR
tektronix!sequent!islabs!ateq!rick

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (01/01/89)

In article <1303@agora.UUCP>, rickc@agora.UUCP (Rick Coates) writes:
> Don't blame RD - I doubt he is filtering out fun stuff (except, hopefully,
> 'demo' packages).  He can only pass on what he gets.
>
> I will soon send him a program to calculate the position of the planets -
> does that count as a non-utility?

OK, but only if you avoid the annoying hallmarks of the DOS time and
date commands:  ie: don't have it pause for input after printing the
plantary coordinates, asking "Enter new Coordinates:".

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.