[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] UNCLE causes my PRINT.COM spooler to hang up

fgg@lzfmd.att.com (F.G.GECK) (12/21/88)

I tried using UNCLE and it seems to work ok but I discoverred
that if UNCLE is invoked then the PRINT.COM (spooler) command
does not work.  I can do a "Prn-scr" or can print a
file by doing a "TYPE Filename > PRN" but if I try to do a
"PRINT Filename" it hangs up the computer and I need to reboot.

UNCLE is being invoked by AUTOEXEC.BAT when I boot up.

I tried changing the CONFIG.SYS file to increase BUFFERS and FILES
but neither of these has any effect.

Has anyone seen this problem or know what is happening here?

Thanks,
Fred Geck

thf@wind.bellcore.com (Theodore Feyler) (12/21/88)

In article <945@lzfmd.att.com> fgg@lzfmd.att.com (F.G.GECK) writes:
>I tried using UNCLE and it seems to work ok but I discoverred
>that if UNCLE is invoked then the PRINT.COM (spooler) command
>does not work.
>Has anyone seen this problem or know what is happening here?
>
>Thanks,
>Fred Geck

I have been using UNCLE religously and have not experienced any problems
with print.com.  As far as I know, I didn't do anything other than what
was in the accompanying documentation.  I have a PS/2 model 50.
If I can help, send me mail.
---ted

pec@necntc.nec.com (Paul Cohen) (12/22/88)

COMMANDO seems to have a similar problem: CTRL-PRINT_SCREEN does not
seem to have its usual effect of sending screen output to the printer.
Generally though, I am very impressed with COMMANDO as a replacement for
CED/HISTORY/UNCLE.

bsrdp@warwick.ac.uk (Hylton Boothroyd) (01/04/89)

In article <12785@bellcore.bellcore.com> thf@wind.UUCP (Theodore
Feyler) writes:
>In article <945@lzfmd.att.com> fgg@lzfmd.att.com (F.G.GECK) writes:
> >I tried using UNCLE and it seems to work ok but I discoverred
> >that if UNCLE is invoked then the PRINT.COM (spooler) command
> >does not work.
> >Has anyone seen this problem or know what is happening here?
>I have been using UNCLE religously and have not experienced any problems
>with print.com.

I don't use UNCLE, but 18 months ago I discovered that some standard
MSDOS 3.20 calls are (or behave like) TSR's,  and can therefore leave
holes in the memory allocation under some conditions - most
particularly if first called during a nested application.  The
hang/crash is not always immediate - it is more likely to wait until
you finish one application and start another.

Since then I've always included

        print /d:PRN/b:4096>nul

in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file to ensure PRINT.COM is loaded and used.  I seem
to remember APPEND.COM is another such offender.

---