[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Other binaries versions of ME wanted

matthieu@laas.laas.fr (Matthieu Herrb) (12/09/88)

	Hello ! I found ME very interesting, and I'd like to
have it running on my old GCA - 4.77 MHz PC. But the version
posted there produce as expected much swow on my screen !
	On the other hand, using "slow video" to redisplay the
screen will probably be to slow.
	The alternative is to use direct video with vertical
retrace wait. Craig, would it be possible to compile a version
using such a video-move function ?
	If no one else can do it, I'm volunteer, but I need
the sources of course !
	I can post my movevideo routine, too which behaves exactly
as `movedata', execept that it waits for vertical retraces to do the
job, if CGA option is on.

--
\  /  | Matthieu Herrb             LAAS - RIA
|\/|--| matthieu@idefix.laas.fr    7, avenue du Colonel Roche

craig@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Craig Durland) (12/13/88)

	I found ME very interesting, and I'd like to have it running on
	my old GCA - 4.77 MHz PC.  But the version posted there produce
	as expected much snow on my screen !
OK - there is a version of ME that waits for video retrace.  On an XT it
snows a little now and then but not too badly.

There is also a version of ME that doesn't use ansi.sys, knows about
extended keyboards and a little more about the screen (eg if you are in
43 line mode it uses all of them).
You can anon ftp either of these from hpcvaaz (15.255.72.15) (login ftp,
password ftp) (remember to use binary transfer mode).  The files are:
mepc.exe and mepcns.exe (same as mepc.exe but less snow).
Craig Durland ...!hplabs!hp-pcd!craig or craig%hp-pcd@hplabs.hp.com

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (12/23/88)

In article <102760002@hpcvlx.HP.COM> craig@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Craig Durland) writes:
>There is also a version of ME that doesn't use ansi.sys, knows about
>extended keyboards and a little more about the screen (eg if you are in
>43 line mode it uses all of them).

Is source available that determines when an EGA card is in 43 line mode?  I
would like a code fragment if anyone knows how to do this.

advTHANKSance

--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (12/23/88)

In article <4067@drivax.UUCP> frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) writes:
>In article <102760002@hpcvlx.HP.COM> craig@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Craig Durland) writes:
>Is source available that determines when an EGA card is in 43 line mode?  I
>would like a code fragment if anyone knows how to do this.
>
>advTHANKSance
>
>--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
>	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
>	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai

In the BIOS data area (0:400h - 0:506h) there are many strange and
wondrous bits of information.  Included in this are locations that
contain the number of rows and columns on the currently active screen.

Since these are used by the BIOS for linewrap and scrolling, they
are (almost) always correctly maintained by anything that changes
the screen mode.

Simcha Lerner

harvard!humming!simcha

craig@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Craig Durland) (12/23/88)

> Is source available that determines when an EGA card is in 43 line mode?
> I would like a code fragment if anyone knows how to do this.

If the machine has a PC compatible BIOS then:
  40:4A has number of columns (usually 80).
  You can detect EGA or VGA with:
	mov AX,1200H
	mov BX,10H
	mov CX,-1
	int 10H
	cmp CX,-1
	jE notEGA	; if CX didn't change it ain't EGA

  If it is EGA or VGA then 40:84 has number of rows-1.  Otherwise assume
  24 (a 25 line screen).

Craig Durland

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/04/89)

In article <4067@drivax.UUCP> frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) writes:

| Is source available that determines when an EGA card is in 43 line mode?  I
| would like a code fragment if anyone knows how to do this.

  There is a variable you can set that puts the display in the mode you
want. There is no particular need to "tell what mode it's in" when you
can just set it. Now if I could only get it to work just right with 132
column mode...
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (01/04/89)

In article <12862@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|In article <4067@drivax.UUCP> frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) writes:
|| Is source available that determines when an EGA card is in 43 line mode?  I
|| would like a code fragment if anyone knows how to do this.
|
|  There is a variable you can set that puts the display in the mode you
|want. There is no particular need to "tell what mode it's in" when you
|can just set it. Now if I could only get it to work just right with 132
|column mode...

Unfortunately, if you are doing mode switching (such as switching to a
graphics mode and back again when the program finishes), generally you
will want to put the display back the way it was when you started.
Therefore, a need to "tell what mode it's in" _does_ exist.

Equally unfortunately, IBM designed all of the EGA's registers as
Write Only. There is no way for a program to determine what mode the
display is in; the best that can be done is to set the display to a
mode that the program keeps track of.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa