[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Has anyone used any uucp mailers for the IBM-PC XT??

brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) (01/11/89)

I am using an IBM-pc and have a mailer set written by W.Z. Venema.
I am wondering if there are any other uucp mailer set available for the
PC. and if so, how do I go about getting one. Also, if anyone else is
using tthis set up for mail over a *NIX system, how well is it working?

Brian Sheets
Sequent Computer Systems
sequent!Ubrians

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (01/12/89)

From article <9587@sequent.UUCP>, by brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets):
> I am using an IBM-pc and have a mailer set written by W.Z. Venema.
> I am wondering if there are any other uucp mailer set available for the
> PC. and if so, how do I go about getting one. Also, if anyone else is
> using tthis set up for mail over a *NIX system, how well is it working?

    'uupc' is much better. You can get a copy from my bbs.
     415-796-3686. File: interim.arc, located in the msdos_comm
     files area.

     ---Bob
     P.S. I did use the PC-Mail by Venema the user interface is nice
     but uupc is closer to the real thing.

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

wswietse@eutrc3.UUCP (Wietse Venema) (01/13/89)

In article <529@symbas.UUCP> tag@symbas.UUCP (Tor-Arne Gisvold) writes:
>Yes - we have for the last 6 months been using a mailer written by
>"mcvax!eutrc3!wswietse" called "uupc" or occasionally DCP. It works
>both on UNIX machines (my machine is a Stride 460), on PC's and Amigas
>(I have never tried the Amiga version).

Allow me to correct this. The uupc or dcp programs were written by
other people (I forgot their name) and was posted about two years ago.
A package called pc-mail was written by me. That one runs on ms-dos and
unix systems and appeared in comp.sources.misc last year. Another
product is uuslave, of which the most recent version was (I think) by
John Gilmore.
--
uucp:	wswietse@eutrc3.UUCP	| Eindhoven University of Technology
bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5.BITNET	| Dept. of Mathematics and Computing Science