[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Microsoft mouse menu constructors

crcraig@athena.mit.edu (Christopher R Craig) (01/10/89)

I received a Microsoft Mouse (afffectionately known as the "Dove Bar")
for Christmas; I really like it, and wish I could use it in more
programs.  Does anyone have (or know of) a public domain mouse menu
construction program that might be useful.  It sounds like some of the
other mouse manufacturers have such programs (Logitech?).  Pointers to
commercial programs (if they're not too expensive) would be welcomed
as well.  Thanks, and I'll post a summary to the net if I get

---
Chris Craig   (crcraig@athena.mit.edu)  or
              ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!crcraig

dshanks@ogccse.ogc.edu (Dave Shanks) (01/14/89)

In article <8713@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> crcraig@athena.mit.edu (Christopher R Craig) writes:
>Does anyone have (or know of) a public domain mouse menu
>construction program that might be useful [for Microsoft Mouse - dshanks].

The documentation for Logitech's mouse menu compiler implies that Microsoft
provides such a program.  It states that source files for Microsoft's mouse
menu compiler can also be compiled with Logitech's compiler.  It also says
that the "object code" (a .MNU file) produced by Microsoft's MAKEMENU cannot
be used with LOGIMENU.  Have you carefully looked through your mouse
documentation to see if you already have what you're looking for?  I looked
at a friend's Microsoft mouse driver disk the other night and saw a program
"MAKEMENU.COM."  Don't you have it too?  Failing that, you might try calling
Microsoft.

--
Dave Shanks			cds@atelabs.UUCP
AT&E Laboratories		..!tektronix!tessi!atelabs!cds

pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1022) (01/14/89)

Microsoft stopped including MAKEMENU on the mouse driver disks
packaged with the mouses quite a while back.  About a year ago they
wanted you to send them $25 for a Mouse Programmer's Guide/Disk,
which included MAKEMENU and instructions for making mouse calls from
your [insert Microsoft language here] or Turbo Pascal programs.  Oh,
and documentation on all the mouse driver's calls and how it works
with the EGA.  I suggest you call Microsoft to see if this is still
how they're working things.

--
Eric Hedstrom             GEnie: G.HEDSTROM       USnail: P.O. Box 4563
Internet: pa1022%iugrad2@ucsd.edu                         La Jolla, CA 92037

         "I drive my car quietly, for it goes without saying."

ahoffman@spica.usc.edu (Alan M. Hoffman) (01/14/89)

Microsoft has a mouse menu maker, entitled MAKEMENU, which does the job.  I
didn't realize they do not package it with the mouse, but anyway, the
development kit is available for $30.00.

Don't bother using the Logitech setup . . . doesn't work with the Microsoft
driver.

----------------------------------------------------------  OO  OO   OOO   OOOO
   Alan M. Hoffman/UCS Operations                          OO  OO  OO    OO
   ARPA: ahoffman@skat.usc.edu   Compuserve: 74066,1363   OO  OO    OO  OO
   UUCP: uunet!oberon!ahoffman                             OOO   OOO     OOOO

----------------------------------------------------------  OO  OO   OOO   OOOO
   Alan M. Hoffman/UCS Operations                          OO  OO  OO    OO
   ARPA: ahoffman@skat.usc.edu   Compuserve: 74066,1363   OO  OO    OO  OO

dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics) (01/16/89)

As others have noted, you can buy the MAKEMENU program for about $25.  But
it really sucks - the sample menus for 123 and the other packages that
come with the mouse use a different driver than MAKEMENU is designed for,
a far superior one, in fact.  I wish I could suggest an alternative.

I have to confess that part of the reason I'm so negative about the package
is that on the four occasions when I've called Microsoft "Technical Support"
they couldn't answer my questions, and promised to call back after they found
out.  Apparently they're still working on them, because I've never heard a
word from them.

Duncan Murdoch