[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Alternate Char sets for ibm pc

rhb@bucsb.UUCP (Rick Broberg) (01/24/89)

I'm interested in finding something that can print
out fonts in other languages, non-romantic, like Cyrillic
in particular.  A wordprocessor with additional fonts
may be enough, but I'd also like to find a general-purpose
utility to do it.  (Cyrillic is Russian).  Any ideas?

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (01/26/89)

In article <2322@bucsb.UUCP> rhb@bucsb.UUCP (Rick Broberg) writes:
>I'm interested in finding something that can print
>out fonts in other languages, non-romantic, like Cyrillic
>in particular.  A wordprocessor with additional fonts
>may be enough, but I'd also like to find a general-purpose
>utility to do it.  (Cyrillic is Russian).  Any ideas?

Word Processors:

Nota Bene 3.0 can handle any European language, including cyrillic, as
well as Hebrew (right to left, very nice interface). This is probably
the best multi-lingual program I've encountered. It is a _very_ full
featured word processor with everything the major packages have, with
a slight academic tint (excellent bibliography, footnotes, etc). The
spell checker and thesaurus are only available for English, I think.
NB3.0, used with a Hercules card with RAMfont, is also fast and nice
at foreign fonts.

MLS (Multi Lingual Scribe) by a company called, I believe, Gamma
Productions, has built in Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, and of
course Roman fonts and also does quite a nice job. MLS also lets you
design your own fonts and keyboard layouts. It works with dot matrix
printers (9 and 24 pin) and CGA; laser printer support is extra, I
think they have EGA support by now.

Each of these programs lists at ABOUT $500.

|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>