[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] bad files:

evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) (01/30/89)

In article <611@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> wirun@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) writes:

>    ARRRGGGH! I spend 2 hours to download UUEARC files from SIMTEL, or
>get them from the Net, and they puke wonderfully when it comes to
>PKXARCing them. A recent example was the Yahtzee game posted to
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, PKXARC: "is not an archive"!

SIMTEL20 is a 36-bit machine.  If you are using ftp, then it (SIMTEL20)
assumes that
you are also running on a 36-bit machine, and will send those extra 4 parity
bits after every long word.  This will, of course, utterly ruin a binary file
if you are actually on a 32-bit machine (which most minis are).  To tell ftp
to strip the extra bits, you have to enter 'tenex'; after a few seconds, ftp
will respond 'type L 8 OK'.  After this, binary files will download correctly.
    To get ASCII files from SIMTEL20, enter 'ascii' to get to ASCII mode.
ftp's default mode (before either of these commands is entered) is 'binary'.

As for things from the net not working: don't know.  Perhaps LFs are being
spuriously converted to CR-LFs by your downloading program?  That will hose
a binary file.

If this doesn't help, it's Reagan's fault.

++erw;
evan@blake.acs.washington.edu