[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Announcing MS-DOS Kermit 2.32/A

JRD@USU.BITNET (Joe Doupnik) (01/24/89)

To correct a somewhat serious bug in MS-Kermit 2.32 (see next message), a
maintenance release of MS-Kermit -- 2.32/A -- is now available.  The
opportunity was also used to fix a few minor problems.  The changes from MS
Kermit 2.32 to 2.32/A 21 Jan 1989 are listed below.

Items common to all machines supported by MS Kermit -

1. Correct a problem negotiating 8-bit prefixing when MS Kermit is operating
   with parity of NONE yet the other side requests that such quoting be done.
   Version 2.32 had a problem and would receive the 8-bit quoting character
   "&" as ordinary text and hence produce a corrupted file. Setting parity
   to SPACE on the PC with version 2.32 might be a suitable workaround.

2. Correct ENABLE/DISABLE MESSAGE commands to work properly. Previously the
   sense was inverted and the command applied to SEND rather than MESSAGE.

3. Formally decode messages in ACKs to data or filename packets before
   displaying them.

4. Add analysis of prompt text in the ASK command so that \number forms are
   converted to binary before displaying the prompt. This makes the prompt
   field behave the same as in the ordinary SET PROMPT command. A dollar sign
   will terminate the text string for either command.
   Example:     ASK \%1 \27[31mEnter password\27[37m

5. Correct small textual errors in the SET command main help screen.

6. Allow command REMOTE MESSAGE to use three character text messages.

Items specific to the IBM-PC version of MS Kermit -

7. Delay accessing a communications port until the port is actually needed.
   This prevents the automatic probing of COM1 at Kermit startup, even before
   file mskermit.ini or equivalent is read. COM1 remains the default port
   unless another is selected by a SET PORT command. The effect of this change
   is transparent except where Kermit has been operated under a multi-tasking
   Environment such as Concurrent-DOS, Desqview, DoubleDos, or MS Windows.
   These situations have experienced difficulty when a second copy of Kermit
   is started while the first copy is actively using COM1; the disturbance
   is created when COM1 is prepared for use as part of the Kermit startup
   process. The present change prevents this disturbance by selecting but not
   touching a port until a Kermit command requires it. Note that STATUS, SHOW
   COMMUNICATIONS, SHOW MODEM, SET BAUD, SET SPEED, and SET PORT commands
   do access the selected port for information; to avoid possible interference
   between users of COM1 perform the desired SET PORT command to select and
   initialize another port before using these latter commands.

8. Add several small improvements to video screen support for the VT102
   terminal emulator when Video 7 boards are used. Preserve 43 line mode
   whenever possible. Defeat 132 column mode for Video 7 VGA boards used with
   fixed frequency analogue displays (31.5KHz), such as the IBM 85xx series.
   Prevent using wrong display buffer address when an unknown proprietary
   video mode is encountered from many EGA and VGA style boards.

9. Put the VT102 screen into the rollback buffer when clearing the entire
   screen with any escape sequence combination. Partial screen erasures
   do not cause preservation in the rollback buffer.

10. Support character 9Bh, ANSI "CSI", as equivalent to reception of "ESC ["
    in the VT102 emulator.

11. Preserve character set pointers and related items in the VT102 emulator
    when the screen width is changed.

12. Avoid unnecessary flow control commands when Control-Print Screen is
    active.

The files which have been changed since version 2.32 are:

    new release ident and date:
      MSSDEF.H

    new system independet files:
      MSSKER.ASM, MSSSEN.ASM, MSSSER.ASM, MSSSET.ASM, MSSTER.ASM

    and for IBM-PC's:
      MSXIBM.ASM, MSYIBM.ASM, MSZIBM.ASM
                                                        Joe Doupnik

[Ed. - Many thanks once again, Joe.  The new files have been put in Kermit
distribution, and MSKERM.BWR has been updated accordingly.]

---

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1989 18:42:32 CET
From: Helmut Waelder <ZRWA001@DTUZDV1.BITNET>
Subject: MS-Kermit 2.32 Binary Transfer Bug

I have transferred a binary file from IBM/370 Kermit 4.0 in server modus
to MS-Kermit 2.31 and a second time to MS-Kermit 2.32 with LOG PACKETS.
The result is as following (all data packets are the same for V2.31 and
V2.32):

    ------ MS-Kermit 2.31 ( works ok) ----------
    Spack: ^A0 I~- @-#Y1~*  ~G^M
    Rpack: ^A- Y~% @-#&1~(Y^M
    Spack: ^A/ Rdos33pat.arcY^M
    Rpack: ^A- S~% @-#&1~(S^M
    Spack: ^A0 Y~- @-#&1~*  ~$^M       <---- this packet differs in V2.32
    Rpack: ^A/!FDOS33PAT.ARC.^M
    -------- MS-Kermit 2.32 ( in error ) --------
    Spack: ^A0 I~- @-#Y1~*  ~G^M
    Rpack: ^A- Y~% @-#&1~(Y^M
    Spack: ^A/ Rdos33pat.arcY^M
    Rpack: ^A- S~% @-#&1~(S^M
    Spack: ^A0 Y~- @-#Y1~*  ~W^M       <----- different
    Rpack: ^A/!FDOS33PAT.ARC.^M

Over the line comes the same data, but it seems to me that MS-Kermit does not
correctly interpret the 8th bit prefixing.  There is no byte with 8th bit on
in the received file (v2.32) and the file is about 30% bigger in size.
/Helmut

[Ed. - This is a serious bug, and it is the main reason for releasing 2.32/A
at this time.  If Kermit should be able to do anything right, it's file
transfer!]

---

The following files are MS-Kermit 2.32/A obtained from Columbia
and are now available via standard anonymous FTP from Simtel20:

  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSVIBM.ARC     IBM-compatable specific
  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSVGEN.ARC     Generic version
  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSVRB1.ARC     Rainbow specific
  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSVHP1.ARC     Hewlett Packard specific
  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSKERDOC.ARC   User's guide and other files
  pd1:<msdos.kermit>MSIIBM.ARC     Script files, tutorial, init files

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (01/30/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12466619010.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> JRD@USU.BITNET (Joe Doupnik) writes:
>To correct a somewhat serious bug in MS-Kermit 2.32 (see next message), a
>maintenance release of MS-Kermit -- 2.32/A -- is now available.  The
>opportunity was also used to fix a few minor problems.  The changes from MS
>Kermit 2.32 to 2.32/A 21 Jan 1989 are listed below.

Before I get tons of mail on this, I want to let everybody know that I
have a copy of 2.32/A. This is the version that I plan on posting in the
near future unless I get inundated with requests not to. The consensus
so far seems to be that posting Kermit would be a Good Thing, so I plan
on doing it in the near future. Most folks seem to be leaning towards
packaging the executables and docs separately.

I should probably point out that Kermit is available via anonymous FTP from
cunix.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.40.130 on Internet). The good stuff is under
the kermit/a directory. I realize that not everybody can FTP, but if you're
in a real hurry for it, that's one way to get it. It's probably a lot more
reliable than netnews, too :-).

						Jim Greenlee
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Cato said, "I had rather men should ask why my statue is not set up, than
why it is." - Plutarch