[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Environment Space - Increasing environment space in MS-DOS 3.2

emb978@leah.Albany.Edu (Eric M. Boehm) (02/01/89)

In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
> to work with MSDOS 3.20.

Just add the following line to CONFIG.SYS (make it the first line)

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:512 /P

You can replace occurrences of C:\ with the correct path for COMMAND.COM
(the first occurrence tells MS-DOS where to find COMMAND.COM the first time,
the second tells it where to find COMMAND.COM when it needs to reload). The
/E tells MS-DOS how many bytes to use for the environment (in bytes, to a
maximum of 32,767, default is 128 bytes). The /P tells MS-DOS that this is
the primary processor for the EXIT command. You also need this so that
AUTOEXEC.BAT will execute.

Eric M. Boehm
EMB978@ALBNY1VX.BITNET
EMB978@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU

toddg@hpldoma.HP.COM (Todd Goin) (02/02/89)

>>>	SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:512 /P
>>>
>>>	You can replace occurrences of C:\ with the correct path for COMMAND.COM
>>>	(the first occurrence tells MS-DOS where to find COMMAND.COM the first time,
>>>	the second tells it where to find COMMAND.COM when it needs to reload). The

You state that the second c:\ tells MS-DOS where to find command.com when reloading
is necessary.  I have a system that contains the following in the config.sys:

	SHELL=C:\dos\command.com /E:1024 /P

And the following in the \autoexec.bat:

	SET COMSPEC=C:\dos\command.com

Is using the line you describe equivalent (and easier) than the setup I have???

Todd Goin
HP-Electronic Design Division

toddg@hpldoma.HP.COM (Todd Goin) (02/02/89)

>>	Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.

>>	My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem

>>	to work with MSDOS 3.20.

>>	Thanks
>>	----------

I could never get setenv to work either.  My config.sys file contains the line:

	SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4098 /P

The /E: is the parameter that allows you to expand the environment.  There are documented
limitations on this number (such as even number of paragraphs of memory or some such)
I just couldn't seem to find them this morning.  This size of environment has
served my needs well for over two years and I do a lot of "SETing".  Make sure
that you include the "/P" option if you want AUTOEXEC.BAT to run.

	Todd Goin
	Hewlett Packard
	Electronic Design Divison