[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] UUPC questions

rlh@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Ramon L. Holt) (02/02/89)

I have some questions about UUPC:

I got the binaries that come with UUPC in interim.arc to work, including
mail and calling out to my host.  I am still having some problems with
the host calling my PC but that is a discussions for comp.dcom.modems
because I think that the problem is in my PB2400.

I was wondering if the binaries included in the package have facilities
for rn, uucp, uux and postnews?  I have been able to get news
forwarded to my PC but I can't think how to get it read like rn would
do it.

If they are not included in the binaries are they included in the source?
I need to get a C compiler for my PC anyway, and rn, uucp, uux in the
source would only be another motivator to get it.
The reason I think that the binaries or at least the source may have News
stuff in it is because the README said to create a news subdirectory.

Two other questions that I have about UUPC (I can't find anything in the
doc's, which are few, or in the source) are if there is an equivalent to
the uucp Permissions file and if there is a multiple mail person per PC
mailer, such that I can control who calls my PC ( as the doc's say a uux
rm -r * is possible, though I can't see how to do a uux) and who reads
my mail and so that multiple people could get mail on the same machine
and yet not be able to read each others.

Also, if anyone has more extensive doc's than come with it I would love
a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Rame.
--
Ramon L. Holt				Franklin Mortgage Capital Corp.
(703) 448-3300				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A-130

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (02/08/89)

In article <451@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM>, rlh@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Ramon L. Holt) writes:
> I got the binaries that come with UUPC in interim.arc to work, including
> mail and calling out to my host.

In the following discussion, i'm assuming that you have the *originally*
published UUPC source, and not any of the variously hacked upon clones that are
running around.

>				    I am still having some problems with
> the host calling my PC but that is a discussions for comp.dcom.modems
> because I think that the problem is in my PB2400.

You are having problems with slave mode with your package because it really
hasn't been implemented.

> I was wondering if the binaries included in the package have facilities
> for rn, uucp, uux and postnews?  [..]

no.  However, if you manually create the appropriate command files in the
/usr/spool/uucp directory, the uucico executable (i believe it is called
uupc.exe?) will send it to the host which will then execute it, if possible.
The same is true for the uucp command.
I have seen copies of uuto, etc., for use in conjunction with this package
running around.

> If they are not included in the binaries are they included in the source?

no.

> Two other questions that I have about UUPC (I can't find anything in the
> doc's, which are few, or in the source) are if there is an equivalent to
> the uucp Permissions file and if there is a multiple mail person per PC
> mailer, such that I can control who calls my PC ( as the doc's say a uux
> rm -r * is possible, though I can't see how to do a uux) and who reads
> my mail and so that multiple people could get mail on the same machine
> and yet not be able to read each others.
	  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	  I don't think that this is really possible in dos.  I think that you
	  may have to be the trusting type.  You can prevent non-authorized
	  people from accessing your computer, and hence your mail by
	  installing some simple jumpers (on your floppy drives) and then
	  specifying a little login+passwd program instead of command.com.
	  But to prevent people who have valid logins on your machine is a bit
	  tough.....

There is no Permissions file implemented in the version that you have.  The
only control for what is executed is in the ulib.c file (shell()) which has the
controlling routines.

The version you have relies extensively on environment variables.  In order to
allow multiple people access to mail, etc on your machine, use something like
the following simple implementation of the su(1) command for dos:
(This is off the top of my head)

echo off
rem @(#)su.bat 1.4+10
if "%1" == "" goto root
set HOME=c:\usr\%1%
goto process
:root
set HOME=c:\
:process
cd %HOME%
rem execute each user's individual .profile file in his/her home directory
rem this will set up the required env vars for UUPC
profile

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain