[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ASCII/BINARY conversion

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (02/05/89)

Uuencoded files are not transferred reliably over Bitnet because the
ASCII/EBCDIC conversion can trash certain characters.  I have seen
mention of some alternative binary/ASCII conversion systems that rely
on a more limited number of characters.  One that I have heard men-
tioned is called 'btoa/atob' and uses only comma, period, a-z, A-Z,
and 0-9 (64 characters that are identical in ASCII and EBCDIC).  I
have also heard mention of a system that translates each byte of a
binary file into its hex representation, thereby doubling the size
of the file and using only 16 different characters.

If anyone has access to any of these alternatives to uuencode, could
they please submit them for posting in the binaries group?  Thanks.

--David

David J. Birnbaum             djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
11 Adams Terrace              djb@wjh12.uucp [UUCP]
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA       djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (02/05/89)

Of course, there is a newer version of uu*code that does not use the
characters that Bitnet fouls up.  I have a VAX/VMS version that I can
send to people though I believe that the latest Unix distribution has
the "corrected" version of uu*coded.  The latest version for the Amiga
is "corrected" as are most versions (other computers).

I guess it's time to upgrade the IBM PC version :-)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

harper@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER FINLAND) (02/08/89)

In article <328@wjh12.harvard.edu>, djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) writes:
> If anyone has access to any of these alternatives to uuencode, could
> they please submit them for posting in the binaries group?  Thanks.

    I  obtained  a  utility  from  a friend at University of Guelph on
    Canada called UTIL3.EXE which we  have  used  to  transfer  binary
    files  between  Finland  and Canada. It may be that he has already
    donated it to SIMTEL20 archives. It has worked we for us and  that
    is  making  transfers between IBM/CMS and VAX/VMS which may be the
    worse of  all  possible  situations  for  getting  files  trashed.
    UTIL3.EXE also has the added bonus that it will also do a UUDECODE
    for you if you want.
    -=ROB=-