[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] c.b.i.p.d Was: Re: Environment Space

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (02/02/89)

[Tutorial on expanding environment space deleted.]

I've noticed over the past few weeks that more and more material that
should probably wind up in comp.sys.ibm.pc is showing up here.  My
understanding is that *this* group is meant for discussion of the
binaries (and probably source) that gets distributed here, whereas the
sys group is for discussion of the technical aspects, use, programming,
etc., of pc-type microcomputers.  It is desireable to maintain the
substantive integrity of the two groups.  It is easy for material to
shade into the other group's material, but this is clearly better suited
to the other group.

Thanks much.

--
Frank Burleigh
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (02/07/89)

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) writes:
> >I hate to say RTFM, but the answer is in there.  Setenv.exe is for 2.x systems.
> >For 3.x systems there is a line to add to config.sys.  I don't remember
> >exactly what it is but it is something like SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P:XXXX
> >where XXXX is the size in paragraphs of the environment.  /P is probably wrong
>
> Yup, /P is wrong, it should be /E, and XXXX specifies the number of
> BYTES, not paragraphs to reserve for the environment space.  So if you
> need to reserve 500 bytes this is what you should have in your
> config.sys:
> SHELL=COMMAND.COM /E:500
----------

Correction to correction: paragraphs for DOS 3.1, bytes for DOS >= 3.2

Don't you love it when the syntax is the same but the meaning different?

John Hardin
hardin%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

rpepin@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Roger Pepin) (02/11/89)

/ hpcupt1:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d / khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) /  6:43 am  Jan 30, 1989 /
Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.

My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem

to work with MSDOS 3.20.

Thanks
----------

I am not an expert on DOS, but my understanding is that the environment is
expanded automatically by DOS as it needs it (from your initial command.com
started at boot time).
The expansion is done modulo some byte size (I forgot: 16 is what comes to
mind).
When your run a program from command.com, the current environment is copied
for that program, just below the program. This means that the actual copy
of the environment available to the running program is fixed in size (other
wise it would overwrite the program itself).

No matter how large you attempt to set the initial environment (from
config.sys, or using a utility), command.com will truncate the copy
of the environment created for the program you run to the next block size
from the currently used environment.

If you have a program that needs a larger environment then what command.com
gives it, try to define dummy environment variables (to force a new block
to allocated).
If that dosn't work, set variables with a long definition, to reserve that
environment space. Then reset the definitions, or change them, from the
application program you run.

If you need more information, you may want to communicate with Daniel
Palmans (same computer asme, login name dpalmans), as he got stuck with
this problem and explained it to me.