[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] RCS for ms-dos

hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (eric hughes) (02/14/89)

Rather than send individual mail to all the people who asked if
I found anything, I'll just tell everybody that I have not found
a freeware version.

A couple of people told me they would port it if they could find source.
Source is available from rtsg.lbl.gov by anonymous FTP.  Source for
a diff that should work for it has been written by the gnu-people; it
is available from many places, canonically prep.ai.mit.edu.

Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes

frotz@drivax.DRI (Frotz) (02/15/89)

Sorry for the long article, but I think that those interested in RCS
will want to see all of this information.  Hit 'n' now if you are not
interested in RCS.

In article <20320@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (eric hughes) writes:
>Rather than send individual mail to all the people who asked if
>I found anything, I'll just tell everybody that I have not found
>a freeware version.

>A couple of people told me they would port it if they could find source.
>Source is available from rtsg.lbl.gov by anonymous FTP.  Source for
>a diff that should work for it has been written by the gnu-people; it
>is available from many places, canonically prep.ai.mit.edu.

>Eric Hughes
>hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes

The following is excerpts from direct communications with RCS' author,
Walter F. Tichy (wft).  The address that we are using to get to him is:

	(amdahl!sun!ira.uka.de!tichy)

Message Dated: Wed, 19 Oct 88 8:41:37 MET
] Running RCS on non-Unix mcahines is definitely out, because RCS needs
] diff and diff3, which are AT&T proprietary.  You would have to write
] replacements for them.  For the rest of RCS, I would need my
] non-disclosure form filled out by you.

] A faster route is MKS RCS (Mortice Kern Systems).  They offer a
] licensed port to the IBM PC.  Look for their ads in the PC rags.

Message Dated: Sat, 22 Oct 88 9:29:57 MET
} RCS release 3 is still available for free, if you retrieve it yourself
} over the UUCP or ARPA net, or if you get it from Berkley Unix or a
} friend who has it.  If you prefer a tape, there is a handling charge
} of $100.  In any of those cases, type the non-disclosure form below on
} company stationary and have it signed by the person who handles your
} Unix licenses.  Upon receipt of the completed form, we will do one of
} the following (as per your requirements):
}
} a.	send you detailed instructions on how to retrieve RCS over the
} 	the network from Purdue University,
} b.	send permission to your fried to release a copy of RCS to you,
} 	(don't forget to tell us his address, email is strongly preferred),
} c.	send you a tape (if you included the handling charge).
}
} Since RCS contains modified AT&T source code (diff and diff3), we need
} to verify that you have a Unix license (source or binary).  Please
} include a copy of the first 5 pages of your Unix licenses agreement.
} If this requirement presents a problem, please let us know.  If demand
} is high enough, we plan to replace AT&T proprietary components with
} our own.
}
} There is an exception for SUN-3s regarding the Unix license: Since the
} versions of diff and diff3 in SUN-OS are compatible with RCS, you do
} not need this components and we don't have to check your Unix license.
}
} The whole package consists of RCS proper, the manual pages for it, and
} modified versions of the Unix commands diff and diff3.  If you need
} more information on RCS before getting it, read one of the following:
}
} 1.	"RCS -- A system for Version Control," by Walter Tichy,
} 	in Software--Practice & Experience, Vol 15, No. 7, 637--654
} 	(July 1985)  (general introduction to RCS, suitable as a
} 	user's manual).
} 2.	"RCS Revision Control System on Unix," by Dan Ligett,
} 	Technical Report TR-86-20, Wang Institute of Grad. Studies,
} 	Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879
} 	(RCS Tutorial for the novice).
}
} Walter Tichy
} (tichy@purdue.edu, tichy%ira.uka.de@csnet-relay)

Non-disclosure form below:
Type the following form on company stationary:

To:	Walter Tichy
	14 Breslauer Str.
	D-7500 Karlsruhe
	West Germany

From:	<Name>
	<Name and address of you lab or institution>
	<reliable network address, if available>
	<phone number>

<Date>

By this letter, we agree to the followin:

1.	RCS shall be used internally only.

2.	RCS shall not be distributed in any form or by any means without
	prior written permission by the author, Walter Tichy.

3.	There are no warranties, express or implied, with regard to
	materials provided.  Accordingly, the author assumes no obligation
	to provide any assistance of any kind whatsoever, or to furnish
	any additional materials.

4.	Copyright notices on all RCS source programs shall be maintained
	and respected.

5.	The author shall be given credit where appropriate.

It is understood that if we decide to incorporate RCS into a product, we
have to come to a seperate licensing arrangement with the author.

			<Name>
			<Position>

( ) Include ( ) do NOT include diff and diff3

( ) Send a tape with RCS

( ) Send instructions on how to retrieve RCS from Purdue

( ) The following person needs permission to release RCS to us:
	<Name>
	<Address>
	<City, State, Zip>
	<Telephone>
	<e-mail address>

Message Dated: Fri, 28 Oct 88 16:38:27 MET
\ If you have a valid Berkeley Unix license, then there is no
\ restriction on using RCS within your company (minus diff and diff3).
\ It does not matter on which machines you run it.
\
\ Richard Stallman of MIT (FSF) has public domain versions of diff and
\ diff3.  You can contact him about getting the source, or you can wait
\ until he provides a free RCS (I sent him a tape a few weeks back).
\ This is good news for all RCS users, but I don't know Stallman's time
\ schedule.

As the non-disclosure states, we will not distribute source to RCS
unless we are contacted by Walter Tichy giving us permission to
release the sources to you.  Also, I don't think that we have
unmodified source easily available anymore.

NOTE:  I am not our Unix License administrator.

--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai