[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v01i130: quu, quick uuencoder v1.2 and uudecoder v2.1

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (02/15/89)

In article <5697@bsu-cs.UUCP> kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) writes:

> Here is my latest enhanced UUDecoder, written in Assembler (compiled
> here under MASM), and a new UUEncoder.  The decoder will take multipart
> files even as separate files, and extract the encoded file.  Or it will
> handle concatenated files without the headers or .signature's removed.
> (Multipart files have to be named something like PART1.UUE, PART2.UUE,
> etc, and all you need do is specify the first file.  The extension is
> not necessary, but the last character of the filename must be a number
> in ascending order.)

Reading this, I find that it is quite ambiguous.  If the filename has
an extension, the extension *MUST* be included when you enter the
filename.  It is not necessary, however, to have an extension on the
filename.  If you do not specify any extension to the filename, the
program will make absolutely no assumptions about an implied extension
(i.e., .UUE), and will treat it just like a filename with no
extension.  If there is an extension to the filename, it can be
anything, it need not be .UUE, btw.

Rahul:

> These programs work well, and they are fast.

> The ability to ignore spurious lines in the middle of a uuencoded file
> is perhaps not perfect.  The file resulting from concatenating the nine
> moria postings earlier in this newsgroup, when fed to the uudecode in
> this package, gave an invalid archive, while the comp.binaries.ibm.pc
> "combine" script worked correctly on the same file.  I'm sure the
> author will locate and fix this minor bug.  Meanwhile this package will
> still be very useful.

I have an idea as to what might be causing this, but I am going to
implement a different -- and more efficient algorithm to discard
spurious lines.  In the meanwhile, the program will still work quite
nicely with headers and footers edited out.  It might also work (hit
or miss) with headers and footers included.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away