[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted : Clearing files.

lily@haydn.kulesat.uucp (02/08/89)

Hello,

I need a program that REALLY erases files from a harddisk, and not just
deletes the directory-entry. The data MUST be freed, and ZEROED or filled
with something meaningless like 'E0', and it has to work NON-INTERACTIVE
(or with redirection of all answers to possible questions), and under the
multi-user OS Concurrent DOS.

By the way does anybody know of a way to program the function-keys under
MS-DOS ?

Thanks in advance.

Dirk.

UUCP   : KULESAT!LILY.UUCP
BITNET : LILY%KULESAT.UUCP@BLEKUL60

rpepin@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Roger Pepin) (02/11/89)

Have you looked at the WIPEFILE utility, from the Peter Norton
advaced utilities package? I don't know if it works in the OS you
mention, but it does the job on single user DOS.

twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) (02/13/89)

In article <804@haydn.kulesat.uucp> lily@haydn.kulesat.uucp writes:
>I need a program that REALLY erases files from a harddisk, and not just
>deletes the directory-entry. The data MUST be freed, and ZEROED or ...

The Norton Utilities, WIPEFILE and WIPEDISK do exactly that.

---
Tom BeATTie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

jbjones@marlin.NOSC.MIL (John B. Jones) (02/16/89)

In article <804@haydn.kulesat.uucp> lily@haydn.kulesat.uucp writes:

>Hello,
>
>        ......ection of all answers to possible questions), and under the
>multi-user OS Concurrent DOS.
>
>By the way does anybody know of a way to program the function-keys under
>MS-DOS ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

This can be done easily from the command line or in the autoexec.bat by
using the phrase

prompt $e[{key code};{"statement you want"}[13]p

The key code can be the code for ANY key, including shift, control, and
alt combinations; the statement you want could also be another key code,
to redefine a key you don't use, or a phrase.  For instance, let's
say you hardly ever use your "a" key, but you find that the phrase
"eat at Joe's" is often coming up in your business and personal
correspondence.  Redefine that baby, with the phrase

prompt $e[97;"eat at Joe's";p

Or put the phrase at ALT-F1 with

prompt $e[0;104;"eat at Joe's"p

Or at CTRL-F1 with

prompt $e[0;94;"eat at Joe's"p

Make an automatic return after the statement by putting a "13" before
the p:

prompt $e[0;104;"eat at Joe's"13p

Most computer nerd books have a list of key codes somewhere in the
reference sections; if you don't have such inspired writings, the codes
for F1 to F10 are 0;59 through 0;68.

HOWEVER...This sort of thing might not work if you are currently using
some kind of key redefining TSR(in that case, better do this stuff in
the autoexec.bat) and it WON'T work if you don't copy ansi.sys to your
home directory (it's on your DOS disks.) The only other "beware" I can
think of is that you make sure these commands are coming to the screen;
otherwise, try echoing these commands instead of changing the prompt
to carry them out.  I hope this works for you.

Johnjones
jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (02/16/89)

In article <1128@marlin.NOSC.MIL> jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (John B. Jones) writes:

>>By the way does anybody know of a way to program the function-keys under
>>MS-DOS ?
>
>This can be done easily from the command line or in the autoexec.bat by
>using the phrase
>
>prompt $e[{key code};{"statement you want"}[13]p

What the above really does is to program your ANSI.SYS to redefine your
keys (every time a prompt is displayed ons screen), so you have to have
ANSI.SYS.  I can also give you a program that I wrote called ANSISET
which will take a bunch of key mappings (or color changes etc.)
as command line options.

>Most computer nerd books have a list of key codes somewhere in the
>reference sections; if you don't have such inspired writings, the codes
>for F1 to F10 are 0;59 through 0;68.

My MS-DOS manual has a section on ANSI.SYS which is helpful.

>HOWEVER...This sort of thing might not work if you are currently using
>some kind of key redefining TSR(in that case, better do this stuff in
>the autoexec.bat) and it WON'T work if you don't copy ansi.sys to your

And a second side effect of doing something like this is that in the
case of some "well-behaved" programs that do not take over the keyboard
interrupt but require the use of functions keys, you lose the function keys.

>Johnjones
>jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vg55611
Internet: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vg55611@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vg55611%ihuxy@research.att.com"
Save 500 million keystrokes a day; silence those silent letters forever.