[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Simtel20 file list with descriptions?

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/21/89)

I remember seeing in a message posted a week or so ago that someone has
a file list from the Simtel20 archives that includes descriptions of each
file.  All I can find is the CRC list, that just gives names and CRCs.
Can anyone point me to a more descriptive list?

Duncan Murdoch

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (02/22/89)

Simtel20, the following should provide the requested information:

  A list of all files in the <msdos> archives is contained in directory
PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS> as follows:

NODESCR.IDX contains a listing of those files that do not have a discrip-
     tion.

SIMCVT.BAS is a BASICA/GWBASIC program to convert SIMIBM.IDX to a human-
     readable text file.

SIMIBM.HDR contains a PC-File+ database header for use with SIMIBM.IDX.

SIMIBM.IDX contains a listing of all files that have a one line descrip-
     tion.  SIMIBM.IDX (updated monthly) is automatically created by
     taking the latest FILES.IDX (updated daily) and comparing it against
     a combined list of current files on several BBS systems.

Also available:

FILDIF.ARC a program for comparing a previous copy of PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX
     with a new copy.  It displays files added and deleted since you got an
     older index.  This is useful if you are trying to maintain an archive
     in sync with SIMTEL20.  It can generate output scripts for batch FTP
     processing.

SIMIBM.ARC contains the latest SIMIBM.HDR, SIMIBM.IDX, AAAREAD.ME (this
     file), SIMCVT.BAS, SIMIBM.DB3 (information on how to use the index
     with dBASEIII), and SIMIBM.INF (explains the fields in the index).

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC is updated at approximately one month inter-
     vals (more frequently, time permitting).

PD1:<MSDOS>FILES.IDX is updated on a daily basis (sometimes several times
     a day when a lot of new files are uploaded).  This file is a comma-
     delimited file, suitable for importing into PC-File+ or DBase III.

It's impossible to make a daily updated list with descriptions with the
quantity of new programs available.  We average about 200 new files per
month.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (02/22/89)

In article <48@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>I remember seeing in a message posted a week or so ago that someone has
>a file list from the Simtel20 archives that includes descriptions of each
>file.  All I can find is the CRC list, that just gives names and CRCs.
>Can anyone point me to a more descriptive list?
Try the file SIMIBM.IDX in <MSDOS.FILEDOCS>.

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531