[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ARC/DEARC for Comp.binaries.ibm.pc

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (02/13/89)

I have arc and arc530 from SEA, and arc on unix, but some of the
recent binaries, posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc have been incompatible
with the arc that generated these files. What is the current standard arc?

Can someone mail it to me.

My personal favorite format for transporting files from Unix<->DOS
is a compressed tar file.

	on the pc with compress and tar I can create a file
	with many files/directories etc to go to a unix machine

	on the pc with u16 and tar I can uncompress everything
	that has two part names, that is most things.

But since arc is currently the way most things are posted, I need on
that will do the job, and a unix implementation also.

Thanks in Advance!

--

Frank Kolakowski
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                         ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |

mrk@sequent.UUCP (Marty Kell) (02/23/89)

In article <LFK.89Feb12234721@mbio.med.upenn.edu>, lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) writes:

> I have arc and arc530 from SEA, and arc on unix, but some of the
> recent binaries, posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc have been incompatible
> with the arc that generated these files. What is the current standard arc?
> --
> Frank Kolakowski
The error I have recieved when testing the integrity jof a file with arc
is, "don't know how to handle xxxxx.xxx, may need a newer version of arc."
Is there such a culprit out there somewhere?  Shareware or otherwise?
This is in reference to UNIX.   If anyone has ideas on how to correct this
problem, besides<< NOT >> using arc, please send me your ideas...
TIA

		mrk